It is important to make the right social connections from a very early age for kids to learn and adapt social skills. Childhood is a formative period for children and their personality, and being around others can be a major source of learning,gaining experience and, for emotional and mental development.
The importance of group activities for kids cannot be stressed enough and it has been proven to be a major factor in developing good practices and fellow-feeling in children. Group activities also promote other important and desirable qualities, and character traits in children. The benefits are many and varied which are convincing parents all over the world to send their children to kids clubs. At kids clubs children get to meet their peer group and take part in group activities which helps them a lot in their later life. If you are contemplating about sending your child to a kids club then you must take a look at the following points and consider each before taking a decision.
- The most important result of taking part in group activities is that it teaches children teamwork. The importance of being able to fit in and work closely with a team towards a common goal is highly sought in life and it allows kids to grow and develop into mature, responsible citizens of the society. Teamwork teaches kids to co-operate with other, respect their abilities and opinions, and accept the deficiencies of others and to communicate effectively in order to facilitate working together. It is a move from the intrapersonal to the interpersonal in terms of personality development, social skills, emotional development and communication skills.
- Group activities for kids often involve physical activities that can give your children the right amount of targeted physical exercise which is beneficial for their body. Light exercise can make a huge difference when it comes to maintaining the health of your kids and they are more likely to be willing to participate in an exercise when it comes in the form of a fun social activity.
- Kids also develop a trait of sharing when involved in group activities. Sharing and giving are essential traits that should be adopted from a young age. Taking part in group activities makes children friendly, caring, giving and understanding. They also learn the art of expressing themselves and understand the idea of fair share.
We, at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas organize various group activities for kids in Texas. To enrol your kids, call Ms. Carol Dunn at (254) 699-5808. You can also visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX – 76541.
Kids are natural investigators and are always curious to find out the answers to some inexplicable questions like why the sky is blue, where does the sun go at night, where do stars come from etc. Parents often wonder how to answer these questions in the simplest way so that the child can understand. However, this curiosity to learn and know more about things can be channelized towards developing scientific skills in kids. Learning about science help kids gather more knowledge about the world and improve their understanding of it. There are some ways with which science skills can be developed in kids and their understanding about cause and effect can be developed.
- Explanations don’t always help: Parents should not always explain complex things to their kids. They should spend more time demonstrating the fun part of science- go on walks, mix up things, test different materials, then observe things carefully, wonder what would happen to them. This will increase the curiosity of the child to know more.
- Help kids think like scientists: Parents should allow their kids to think independently and not force ideas on them. When kids start to think like scientists and question everything, understand the working of simple objects, relate more to things, it can help develop scientific skills in them.
- Listen to kids: Parents and teachers should ask kids about activities they are doing. By using this approach, kids can share with adults what they hear, see, think, observe and notice. This develops their thinking and the way they reflect upon things.
- Encourage kids: Kids should be encouraged more to question and wonder why a certain thing works the way it does.
- Use information to build interest: To build kids’ interest in the physical world and in living things, books, field trips, experiments and other ways to explore science should be used.
- Engage kids in science experiences: Kids should be engaged more in various science and math experiences by forming hypotheses, making guesses, collecting data, drawing conclusions etc.
- Incorporate science projects: Science projects can be incorporated into activities performed by kids when they play with blocks, water and sand or when they engage in dramatic plays, cooking, art and music, stories or outdoor activities.
- Engage kids in study of animals and plants: Our planet has a huge variety of animals and plants. Kids can be engaged in their study and increase knowledge about the environment around them.
These tips can provide many opportunities for kids to put up questions and build an inclination towards learning new things. They should be motivated to enquire and understand the things around them so that they start developing scientific skills from a young age. We, at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas organize various activities that focus of developing science skills in kids. For more information about the programs, you can call at (254) 699-5808.
Football enthusiasts spend most of their time practicing the game which is becoming ever so popular around the world. However it is important to follow proper techniques during play and warm up sessions prior to playing. It is the duty of the coaches and parents to insist on the importance of warming up before practice. The coaches must make the young football players aware of the preventive measures needed to be taken against injury and strain. Learning about stretching, warm-up exercises and strength training are the essential parts of a solid sports training.
The trainers must encourage the players to indulge in warm-up exercises in their practice sessions. A dynamic warm up session not only prepares the body for the sport but also prepares the player mentally. The warm up sessions often include some cardiovascular exercises, strength drillsand stretching exercises as the cardiovascular exercises increase the blood circulation, increase the heart rate and increase body temperature. Whereas stretching exercises warm up the muscles and prepare them for movement.
Kids should always warm up before playing football for two main purposes; firstly toincrease performance and secondly to prevent injury.As the blood flow increases the body temperature rises and the blood releases more oxygen, which enables the players to perform better. The muscles contract and relax faster, muscle metabolism increases and this helps the muscles perform efficiently.Warming up your muscles is necessary and a 10-20 minutes warm up session is sufficient to help players play well. Some of the exercises that can help youth football players are sidesteps, heel flicks, skipping, knee raises and jogging.
Cold muscles tend to tear easily, whereas warmed up muscles require more force to be injured. Thus warm up helps in preventing muscle injury and by keeping the muscles warm the players can function more and play efficiently. By doing some warm up exercises kids can start playing their best right from the beginning. Warming up also decreases the chances of injury due to pulling of muscles and ligaments. It prepares the muscles for the movement, weight and exercise.By including warm up and cool down exercises in their practice routinekids can surely take their game to the next level and play a better game. Kids can avoid tiredness, straining their muscles and any painful injuries during the game that can render them unable to play and cause serious damages.
Art classes have many beneficial aspects for children along with the entertainment value. Many researchers have suggested that the kind of knowledge kids receive during art classes can lay the foundation for academic success and a bright career. Children can develop a lot of qualities through these art classes which stay with them through their lives. Given here are some of the major benefits of art classes and how they can help children to stay a step ahead of their peers.
Art classes provide the kids with an opportunity to nurture and explore their creative side. They get a chance to kindle their fantasies as well as their problem solving and cognitive skills. These skills allow them to use their creativity in other situations as well which can boost their school results.
Hand Eye Coordination
Some of the art projects promote using scissors, clay modeling and painting in a narrow space, which encourage children to use their fine motor skills and improve their hand eye coordination. Using these skills repetitively refines their co ordination which enables the children to excel in many situations.
Art is the only form of education that allows children to express their covert desires and imaginations and express them in a concrete way. Students also become able to interpret the meaning of other people’s art work.
The entertaining nature of art projects keep most children engaged. As they enjoy the work, their concentration power gets improved, right from the beginning to the end of the task, and they feel an accomplishment and a sense of satisfaction after finishing the task.
The subjective nature of art projects encourages the kids to take risks. They know that there is no fixed outcome that is desired out of them. This instills confidence in children which is also demonstrated in many other aspects of life.
Sense of Accomplishment
When children receive assertion for what they have done, it serves as a motivator for them to work harder in future. They start to enjoy their creativity without being stressed about the outcome or response from other people.
We, at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas, hold various art programs that can help your child nourish and boost his or her skills. To get your child enrolled with us for their better life and successful future, call Ms. Carol Dunn at (254) 699-5808. You can also visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX – 76541.
If there is one game that is the most popular and a fast growing sport, then it is Basketball. Whenever you see hoops or baskets, you can expect someone is shooting balls into it. Such is the popularity of the game that it is played in open fields and gymnasiums with the same enthusiasm. Basketball has many health benefits associated with it and this is the main reason why we, at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas, organize various basketball games across the region for kids.
Below are some of the health benefits of basketball that can make your kids physically active and mentally alert.
- Strength training: Basketball being an excellent body workout leans out the body muscles. It is a physically intensive sport and helps in toning of the legs and groin muscles because of the running and jumping involved. Movements like dribbling and shooting strengthen the arm muscles, wrist flexors and hand muscles.
- Mental Development: In addition to physical techniques, the ability to constantly focus on teammates and make quick decisions based on their actions develops the agility of mind. The mind has to think fast to dodge other players with changing momentum of the game. This way more attention and control is gained from a young age.
- Motor Control: The ability to pass the ball with precision requires a lot of training and practice. This helps in controlling the position of the body and to co-ordinate the movements in response to the opponent.
- Endurance: Since basketball is a tough and intense game which involves running, jumping, shooting and dribbling, it increases endurance levels and makes the body stronger.
- Burns calories: As the game involves a series of movements it burns a lot of calories and helps kids stay active.
- Social Skills: Basketball also instills a lot of discipline and communication skills that is required for winning the game. Rules and regulations have to be followed and regular practice has to be attended with attention. Through these skills kids can learn the importance of discipline, attention, responsibility and team work which are of great value in life.
Basketball is a game that provides a lot of enjoyment and improves the minds and bodies of kids. Kids should be involved in games like basketball to teach them a lot of lessons related to life. You can get your child enrolled in basketball games at our kids club by visiting 304 W Ave B, TX 76541 or calling at (254) 699-5808.
If you are a parent of a teenager, your first concern is helping him/her make better career choices. Choosing a career is one of the major decisions of life that influences the future of your child. As a parent, you can play quite a constructive role in your child’s life. You should act like a mentor, a guide and a counselor rather than imposing your decisions or choices on your child and you should help him take positive decisions. Often without proper guidance, children choose wrong majors or keep on changing their majors which leads to wastage of time, money and credits. Here are certain things that you can do to help your child take right step at the right time.
- Try to know the interests of your child: As a parent, you are closest to your child and you know him better than anybody else does. You should communicate with your child and try to know what his interest is so that you can guide him appropriately.
- Consult a career counselor: You can take your child to an experienced career counselor who will let you know about the aptitude and abilities of your child. The counselor will suggest you what career options you should choose for your child. Once you get the direction, you can encourage your children to follow the path.
- Encourage volunteer work and part time jobs: You should always encourage your child to participate in volunteer work in the organization or in community, extracurricular activities organized by the school or college and part time jobs. With more exposure to different works and work environments, your child will be able to decide what he wants to do in life.
- Explore different opportunities and make your child aware: You can always get mentoring support for your child. You should try to explore different opportunities and always remember that you should not pressurize your child to choose any career option of your interest. The interest and capabilities of your child are the major factors in deciding their career. Put your child in situations where he gets motivated and guidance from an experienced family friend, community member, teacher or a counsel greatly helps.
- Subscribe to some online career magazine: It is a good idea to subscribe to some online career magazine, which will provide you details of various career options and the eligibility conditions required to take up the career. Such magazines are often resourceful and provide details about colleges and universities that offer particular courses, entrance exams or conditions and other information.
- Research online: Encourage your child to do online research on various occupations available, career options, their typical duties, training and responsibilities, pay scales and the present opportunities in the field. This research will help them decide a career and choose their majors accordingly.
- Encourage your child to attend career events: Often schools and other local education organizations organize career events such as seminars and workshops to make youngsters aware of the opportunities available. Encourage your child to actively participate in these events and ask queries.
To help your child in choosing a career, you can also motivate him to join a kids club where he is exposed to the right environment as they have the facilities to guide the children in making right career moves.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize CareerLaunch program to help kids assess their skills and explore various career options available. To enroll your kids, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Parenting a teen child seems like an uphill task to those who consistently have to deal with the anger of their children. While growing up, a number of emotions flare up in teenagers and they become unpredictable due to hormonal changes and the need to find their own identity, which leads to confusion and stress. Any kind of reckless behavior like screaming, abusing, violence and depression make it impossible for parents to appease their children, which ultimately leads to decaying relationships and unwillingness to communicate. In such a scenario, it becomes absolutely vital that parents take immediate steps to help cope up their teenager's anger.
Anger is a behavior that is uncomfortable and usually, out of control. It is a way of releasing mental and emotional pressure by our subconscious mind which sometimes can get too much to handle. Anger in teenagers is a normal process of growing up but it needs to be managed because it decreases the overall quality of life whereas nagging and fighting with them worsens the situation. To help their teens, parents can follow the below given tips to manage the anger in their teen children.
Tips for parents-
- Talking to your children - To avoid any frustrations, parents should be approachable and listen to any problem their child might be facing as communication is very important.
- Seeking expert help – Counselors that deal with troubled teenagers know how to talk to them and help identify the root cause of anger. They help build confidence among children and improve their mental and emotional health.
- Thinking rationally – Before acting out on their teens' behavior, parents should think. In most cases, the situations can be prevented from getting worse if parents decide to stay calm when the teenager is throwing tantrums and indulges in angry behavior.
- Teaching Self-control – Growing up teenagers should be educated about the warning signs of building up anger like increasing pulse rate, high blood pressure, muscle tension etc. They should be taught to practice self control and not let anger control them.
- Helping identify triggers – Certain situations inside or outside of the house may be resulting in sudden outburst in teenagers. Parents can help them identify what actually causes them to get violent and burst out, and help them handle those situations effectively.
- Activities at kids clubs – Energy spent in expressing anger can be redirected towards creative activities that improve the overall well being of teenagers. Walking, exercising, music, painting, dancing and sports help in coping up with anger and prevent it from escalating.
Educating teens about the drawbacks of such behavior will instill a sense of confidence in them and help them regain their self esteem in front of others. They should be made aware of their behavior and learn how to control it.
We, at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize anger management programs to teach teens various ways to cope with their anger. To enroll your kids in these programs, visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX - 76541 or call at (254) 699-5808. Ext:102
Cheerleading tryouts can be a challenging task for kids as it requires a lot of patience, understanding and hard work. Kids are often afraid of facing the judges, making mistakes or forgetting the moves. Boys And Girls Clubs of Central Texas helps kids prepare for the tryouts. Here are some useful tips for kids that can help them prepare for cheerleading tryouts.
- Meet the coach before tryout: It is advised that you should meet the coach of the squad, and take that opportunity to introduce yourself and express your interest in tryouts. You can ask the coach about any particular requirements that he/she may have.
- Be Confident: Whatever you do, you need to do it confidently. It is important that you practice your skills before the tryout. By helping others in the team, you can gain more confidence and make an acceptable place for yourself in the team.
- Be prepared for commitment: Cheerleading is quite demanding and demands commitment. Whether it is games, competitions or practice, you can succeed only if you are committed to do your best. Your passion and commitment should reflect in your try out. You must check out your potentials and the requirements of task before tryouts so that you can mentally prepare yourself for the task.
- Adapt to match your squad: Every squad has its own style, personality and image. You must show that you can fit in the image.
- Practice: To be successful cheerleader, it is essential that you practice your steps so that you do not forget them during tryout. By regular practice, you can strengthen your skills and be more confident.
- Keep learning: If you want to perform well during cheerleading tryout and impress the judges, you must learn new dance steps and athletic actions. Note other cheerleaders in the squad and even get advice from previous squad members on how to learn new actions.
- Stay healthy: To join a squad, it is important that you should be healthy. Be confident about yourself, smile genuinely and have a healthy diet.
- Avoid stressing yourself: It is crucial that you recognize your limitations and do not over stretch and strain yourself.
- Dress appropriately for the tryouts: It is important that you should be comfortable; therefore avoid wearing too tight and skinny clothes. Wear something comfortable, tie your hair back and avoid wearing jewelry.
These tips will surely get you success in your cheerleading tryouts.
The importance of money and developing good practices regarding the use of money is extremely important in life. From a very young age, parents should take the initiative to instill in their children the notion of money, its worth in life and the various good practices that will enable them to manage money smartly once they reach an age where they would be expected to. Young children need careful guidance to fully comprehend the hard work that goes into earning money and to understand why it is important to manage expenditures, and learn to save. As parents, it is a duty to teach your children smart money management and to encourage good habits from an impressionable age.
Following the tips below will help you when you’re trying to teach your kids how to manage money smartly.
- First up, it is important to remember that as parents, your behavior and your practices are seen to be exemplary by your children. Therefore, know that your children are always watching how you handle money and make sure that you set good examples for them to follow.
- To encourage good spending and saving habits, set a reasonable allowance amount for your child. You can raise the allowance slightly each year, while encouraging your children to plan their own purchases while staying within the restrictions of the allowance amount. Tell them that if they need to buy something which exceeds the allowance, they need to save and eventually make the purchase later.
- Make sure that your children help out with family chores. Correct their mistakes with constructive criticism and encourage good habits. Occasionally, you can choose to make extra income opportunities available by offering a reward for performing particular chores.
- It is extremely important to teach your kids to save money from a very young age. Educate them about good saving habits and arrange for a place where they can save their money. Monitor the savings activity and regularly advise your children regarding good saving habits.
- Children need to grow up and become wise consumers. Therefore, if they want to purchase something, ask them to think about it and consider other alternatives before making the final purchase. Teach them how to distinguish products based on the quality and help them develop a smart, non-gullible attitude towards advertisements and promotions.
It is well-known that children are very different from adults when it comes to thinking, behavioral patterns and the ability to manage stress. Since childhood is an impressionable age, things which adults consider to be insignificant or inconsequential might be enough to trigger a stress reaction in children. In most cases, it has been found that young children do not possess the ability to identify or express their feelings when they are feeling stressed. Therefore, it is the duty of the parents and teachers in school to keep their eyes and ears open and detect signs of stress in children. Some tell-tale signs are arguments, problems with sleeping, clinginess, refusal to attend school, headaches and abrupt changes in behavior.
When you see any of these symptoms in children, it is reasonable to conclude that your child is under stress and it is up to you to help them cope with it effectively. The following tips can come in handy while helping kids cope with stress –
- Make sure that you encourage your children to speak their mind. Children often have trouble communicating and find it difficult to put their thoughts in words. If you see any sign of stress, ask them if they feel scared, worried or nervous about something. If the answer is positive, ask them the reasons behind that feeling.
- When your child communicates with you and makes you aware of their stress, make sure that you acknowledge the communication in a positive manner and encourage further communication whenever the need arises. Try to create a positive interpretation of the situation which is causing the stress so as to make things seem less serious.
- Educate your children regarding various known stress management techniques. These can include techniques like breathing exercises, positive and encouraging statements, and visualizing of situations.
- Ensure that your kids are getting enough time and space to relax. Adequate sleep and a proper bedtime routine are extremely important for the mental relaxation of children. Include habits like listening to soothing music and storytelling sessions in their routine.
- Spend quality time with your children. It has been seen that time spent with parents and teachers contribute significantly to the mental well-being of children. Selecting activities in which you can participate with your children can help them get rid of stress, have a fun period of bonding and relax. Enrolling your child in a kids club can also be a great way to ensure that your child gets to spend time with children in the same peer group and gets to unwind and relax.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, organize many activities for the overall development of kids in Texas. To enroll, contact us at (254) 699 - 5808.