Character building activities refer to activities that foster morals and values in youngsters. These activities help youngsters develop emotional intelligence for handling all kinds of situations as they grow. A good way of engaging students in character development activities is to involve them in after-school activities that focus on instilling kindness, honesty, respect and empathy. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas provide a variety of activities that focus on character development e.g. Goals for Growth, Keystone Clubs, Youth of the Year and more.
Listed below are ways in which character development activities benefit students:
- Instill Values: As children grow and interact with different kinds of people in the society, they require certain values for healthy relationships. They need values like compassion, empathy, respect, honesty, discipline, etc. These can be taught through specific activities under the supervision of responsible adults. The Million Members, Million Hours of Services at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas is a program dedicated to instilling values in youngsters.
- Emotional Skills: The activities make youngsters resilient individuals by teaching them ways with which they can regulate their emotions during challenging situations. The after-school activities help them practice good judgment and resilience. They are also encouraged to exercise self control when it comes to risky behaviors amongst peers. Youngsters learn how to say no when required and also how to remain balanced in all kinds of situations.
- Leadership Skills: The activities aim to strengthen their leadership skills, goal setting abilities and teamwork capabilities which are beneficial in personal and professional situations. The programs offered revolve around academic performance, community services, interpersonal skills and career preparation. When students interact with other students at an after school club, they learn valuable life skills like conflict resolution, sharing, socializing and more.
- Encourage Diversity: Exposing youngsters to activities that demand working together in a team towards a common goal teaches them the value of appreciating unique capabilities of one another. They develop respect for others and learn the importance of working together in spite of difference of opinions, backgrounds, cultures and more.
- Better Academic Performance: Children who a part of after-school activities that emphasize good character are more likely to perform better academically. The reason for this is that the activities help them understand the value of hard work, commitment and dedication to a task at hand. They apply the same principles in their personal and academic lives which lead to positive results.
Effective communication skills are one of the most profound skills for success. They help an individual to express himself confidently and clearly. These skills consist of verbal communication and non-verbal gestures in the form of body language. The best time to start working on communication skills is during childhood.
Here are some ways with which communication skills among kids can be improved:
- Avoid Over-Correction: Resist the temptation of over-correcting your child. Practice patience and understand that every skill takes time to develop and is based on trial and error. Correct sparingly and encourage your child to speak more irrespective of mistakes.
- Be A Role-Model: Children learn by example, so set an example of what you want their communication style to be like. Watch your tone, pronunciation, speed and words used as that is what they will mimic.
- Read More: Read as much as you can with your child as this will introduce new vocabulary and expand his horizons. Do not limit reading to books only but explore everything around you for something to read. This could be a written manual, a cereal box, the newspaper, a poster, etc.
- Praise Often: Praise your child for talking but do not overdo it. When they are younger, try praising them often throughout the day and when they are older, praise them sparingly for things like using a new word. Praise just enough to keep your child motivated and eager to get better.
- Ask Open Ended Questions: This does not mean that you overwhelm your child with a stream of endless questions. Try to be an interesting conversation partner without sounding too interrogative. For example, ask questions like, “What did you do with your friends today?”, “What is it that you like about this book?”, etc.
- Avoid Gadgets: Keep gadgets like phones, televisions, video games, etc. away when communicating with a child; there should be minimum distractions. It will help in strengthening communication skills, expanding imagination and encouraging conversations.
- Work On Body Language: Teach your child about non-verbal cues as a form of communication. Explain the meaning of different body movements and the emotions they convey. Encourage your child to observe people and try to understand what their movements convey.
- Other Tips: Apart from the above-mentioned tips, good communication skills can be achieved by practicing how to make eye-contact while talking to others, asking relevant questions, pausing to think, learning the importance of taking turns during a dialect, active listening, etc.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
offers a safe and secure environment for kids to socialize and build communication skills. The clubs organize various life skill development activities for kids. To know more tips for developing communication skills among kids in Killeen, visit 703 N 8th St.
Killeen, TX – 76541 or call at (254) 699 – 5808.
“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” -John Maxwell
Leadership skills refer to skills required by a leader to manage and motivate a team towards a common goal. These skills include reliability, empathy, dependability, creativity, positivity and more. Effective leaders build strong teams, ensure projects are accomplished on time, improve employee engagement and create a supportive environment at work.
Listed below are the top leadership skills that kids should develop:
- Decision-Making Skills: A good leader is one who can make quick and effective decisions. The decisions can be made on the basis of reasoning or intuition depending on the facts of the situation. Decision making requires a leader to analyze and interpret a situation properly, evaluate options, anticipate outcomes and navigate risks.
- Team-Building: A leader knows how to work with others individually and as a team. Delegation of duties to members of a team as per their competence and skill- level is an important part of leadership. It is important for kids to develop team building skills as this helps them grow and excel in academic and professional setup in future.
- Dependability: A dependable leader is one who can be trusted and relied upon by other team members. The basis for developing a high level of dependability is to keep promises and follow through with plans. A leader who can be depended upon lays the foundation for a resilient team that can wade through challenges with ease.
- Problem-Solving: Problems are the building blocks for success in every industry. The key to solving any problem is to learn from it and formulate strategies for managing it. Good leaders know how to stay strong in the face of problems in any situation and work towards combating the same effectively.
- Integrity: Integrity is an invaluable leadership skill; a good leader is truthful and honest in all dealings. He has strong values and is concerned about the welfare of everyone. Kids with leadership skills such as integrity make ethical choices.
- Communication Skills: Leaders possess communication skills that make them effective speakers and assertive individuals. They are quick to build rapport with others and are likely to develop lasting relationships. Other important components of communication skills are persuasion skills, transactional skills and the ability to influence others.
- Planning Skills: Leaders need planning skills to ensure tasks and projects are accomplished on time. Important aspects of planning skills are organizing skills, project management skills, action planning, project planning and risk management.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize activities to help kids develop leadership skills in Killeen, TX. To know more about leadership skills among kids, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.
Self-expression can be defined as expressing one’s thoughts and feelings, and these expressions can be accomplished through words, choices or actions. Encouraging children to express themselves from an early age is vital for their overall development and self-confidence. Self-expression fosters feelings of independence, self-advocacy and creativity. There are three types of self-expression i.e. playful, building and artistic expression.
Here are some ways with which children can be encouraged to express themselves:
- Writing: Children could be encouraged to write about their day, feelings, thoughts, ideas, etc. This form of expression may help them understand themselves and sort out their thoughts. This can be done in the form of journaling, blogging, maintaining a diary, etc.
- Conversation: Teach your child about the art of conversation by initiating topics of discussion, asking questions, making eye contact, controlling awkward body movements, conversing about things that are not routine-based, teaching them to ask for favors when necessary and how to do so, etc.
- Clothing: Your child’s way of dressing is also a form of self-expression that should not be limited to societal trends and norms. Encourage your child’s style of clothing, choice of colors, etc. and refrain from imposing your choices.
- Choice: Support your child’s choices when it comes to things like sports, hobbies, after-school activities, books, voluntary work and more. This is the foundation for a well-developed and confident personality. The possibility of having a choice boosts self-confidence and is an intrinsic part of self-expression.
- Art: Artistic expression provides children with an outlet for strong emotions and feelings that are difficult to put into words. Examples of artistic expressions are painting, sketching, drawing, coloring, etc. For maximum benefits, allow your child to express his artistic side without any boundaries and rules.
- Play: Playing is one of the best forms of self-expression for kids. When children play with other children, they learn the art of cooperation, the value of respect and important inter-personal skills. After school clubs such as Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas offer a safe place for to play within reasonable rules and boundaries.
- Building Objects: The construction of objects such as dollhouses, stacks of wooden bricks (Jenga), model cars, LEGO, etc., helps in fostering creativity and self-expression. Children learn the importance of using creativity under a set of instructions and boundaries to produce the end result.
Conclusion: Apart from self-expression, the above-mentioned activities help children become problem solvers and develop socio-emotional skills, positive mental health, fine motor skills and more. Other forms of self-expression are dancing, story-telling, music, playing with dough, etc.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize an array of after-school activities to help kids develop self-expression in Killeen, TX. To know more about importance of self-expression among kids, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.