Long time back, students at school were labeled smart or dumb merely by evaluating their ability to sort out math problems or writing the correct answers. The students who failed this evaluation test were tagged dumb even if they had different ways of understanding and approaching a problem. You must understand that every child has his own point of view. It’s a challenge for a parent, caregiver or educator to identify children’s life skills and abilities and help them enhance those talents while assisting them in fields where they find difficulties.
Howard Gardner said in his book entitled Theory of Multiple Intelligences that every person differs by experiencing and expressing intelligence in different areas. So is the case with children. A child can show his intelligence in regions like:
- Linguistics: A child that possesses linguistic intelligence likes to read and even write stories, poems etc. He usually mentions about what he has read. He is fascinated by new words and curious to know about their meanings, will be good in spellings and also has a wide vocabulary.
- Logical-mathematics: A child with strong logical intelligence is likely to score high in mathematical test. He will be good in mental arithmetic. He’ll be interested to scientifically know the reason of how things work. He will be quite punctual and well organized.
- Music: A child will show his musical skill by his ability to understand, perceive and create music. He can recognize the tunes and notes. He will often sing or hum and is quick to learn songs.
- Spatial: A child who has strong spatial intelligence is a natural artist. He will be able to notice even small changes and possess good visual imagination. He will enjoy drawing, sketching, coloring or painting. He would love to click various pictures and capture videos, if given an opportunity.
- Bodily-kinesthetic: Your child would be good at sports and other physical activities if he has physical intelligence. The kid will be creative and would like to be involved in various kids activities like cooking, dancing and sewing.
- Intrapersonal: If your child possess intrapersonal skills then he is likely to have a good friend circle. He will be friendly and relate well to people who are younger or older to him. He is a good listener and will often sort out problems among friends.
- Interpersonal: If your child is a deep thinker then he possesses interpersonal intelligence. He is kind of introvert, shy but intelligent. He might not mix up easily with other people.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run special program ‘Goals for Growth’ to help kids identify their strength and enhance their self-esteem by recognizing their goals and hidden skills. To get your child enrolled in this program, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
The fact that cigarette smoking is injurious to health is known to all. Around 4000 different chemicals enter an individual’s body on smoking a single cigarette. These poisonous chemicals damage various cells in a human body that can lead to cancer and an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, such as heart attacks. Despite knowing that cigarette smoking is not a healthy practice, children and teens continue with the habit and it gradually changes to addiction. In US alone, around 4000 youngsters turn chain smokers everyday. When asked the reason of their smoking, they often answer that smoking makes them look fashionable and mature at the same time. It is also seen in some cases that kids acquire this habit from their parents.
You can protect your child by informing him about the health risks associated with smoking. Be a good role model for your child and quit smoking in case you do. Make clear rules and give appropriate reasons to them to keep him away from this habit. When you are talking to your child about the harmful effects of smoking, do it in a calm and subtle way so that you don’t scare him away. Listen to your child patiently when he tells you as to what makes him an addict. Devote him a lot of time by playing with him and taking him for outings. Encourage him to participate in various kids activities like football, baseball, tennis etc that can divert his attention from smoking. It is often seen that teens get into the habit of smoking due to peer pressure. Ask him to firmly say no if any of his friend forces him to smoke. Keep telling him how smoking affects the daily life of children who smoke.
You should develop a friendly relationship with the child at an early age so that he lets you know whatever is happening in his life. This will eventually let the child talk to you freely about smoking. He will also involve you in making decisions and will take your advice on various issues, even on things like smoking. Various kids clubs in US offers several kids’ activities that make them fit and active. Some of the clubs also offer different programs that help the youngsters resist smoking, alcohol and drug abuse. These programs include small group activities that enhance their life skills and build their resiliency. The activities involve various sports like football, volleyball, basketball and cheerleading.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas organize year-round kids activities for kids of 6-18 years of age. To get your kid enrolled in any of these activities kindly contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call us at 254-699-5808 Ext: 102.
The advent in technology has made the life of people very comfortable. Because of this convenient lifestyle, they have become lazy and lethargic too. This modern attitude towards life has not only affected the physical fitness of adults, also the kids. They are no longer as active as they used to be few years back. Now they hardly have spare time for any physical activity. School, drawing, grammar, math coaching and many other such classes tend to increase brain power, but devoid them of getting any kind of muscular strength. It has also been noticed that if the kids get free time, they either like to play video games or watch TV or surf on net. This is one of the reasons that they are not able to maintain proper weight and thereby can be subjected to various health issues. To avoid any health problems among kids that are caused due to lack of physical activities, you must introduce certain physical kids activities in their daily routine. Few of them are discussed below:
- Choose the activity that the kid enjoys: It is seen that every kid is different from the other. He might not enjoy sports like baseball, football etc. He might be more interested in other activities like dancing, swimming or karate. So, it is always better to let him participate in the activity that he likes. In fact, encouraging him to perform better will increase the motivation level of the kid and also enhance his performance. On the other hand, if parents pressurize the child to take part in activities that he does not like then he would not take part in the activity enthusiastically and often skip the classes.
- Participate with your kids: When the parents will actively participate with the kids in their physical activities, the kids would surely enjoy it whole heartedly. The parents are recommended to go out with their kids for playing games like football, basketball, cricket or some other activity that he likes. They can also invite the kid’s friends for a game or two. Spending time with the kids will make them happy and more energetic.
- Limit screen time: Let your kids take up some hobby that involves physical activity, instead of watching TV in their free time. Act like a role model for your kids and involve yourself into some physical activity in your everyday schedule.
- Follow the 'No excuse' rule: Some daily routine works like brushing your teeth, getting ready for school are permitted with ‘no refusals’. Follow the same rule and stick firmly to the decision where participation in some physical activity is involved.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run several sports, fitness and recreational programs for kids between 7 to 12 years of age. To name a few programs are Tackle Football, Track, Basketball and Cheerleading. Besides these, our programs also help them in staying physically fit and developing positive relationships with their peers and adults. You can enroll your kid in any of these programs by visiting our club at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541. You can also call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102
Invented by Alfred Butts during the early 20th century, the game of scrabble is a family favorite that can be played and enjoyed by everyone in the family. Each of the players is provided with a specific number of tiles (seven to ten tiles) that carries English alphabets, out of which they have to create words. Each of the tiles is assigned with a point and each space on the board also carries a definite value. The value of the tile is multiplied with the point on the box. The player who scores the highest points is the winner of the game. Scrabble is quite a simple and an entertaining game and has various advantages for your kids. Few of them are:
- Improves spelling and vocabulary: Scrabble, undoubtedly improves the word spelling of kids. Thereby, many teachers at the school recommend parents to play scrabble with their kids, especially those who are poor at spelling. While playing the game, you can teach the kids the basic rules of spelling a word. They will definitely grasp the word and its spelling quickly. This game will also let your kids know new words and their meanings. While playing the game, if you put a new word on the board, the kids would positively be inquisitive about knowing its meaning and for sure will remember the word for the next time. This way, they will increase their vocabulary too.
- Lets your kids be creative: The brilliant game of scrabble allows the kids to use their own creativity to make new words from the letters provided. While playing the game, they are forced to creatively think of a fun and unique word than the ones already on the board, in order to score good and more than the other players. Some kids also show a smart move by using their tiles to make new words in some specific area on the board to attain more points.
- Improves mathematical skills: Along with improving the English skills, the scrabble also teaches the kids basic math skills. Since each tile of the letters used in the game carries specific points, the kids would have to multiply those points with the value given to the box. In short, the kids would have to apply addition and multiplication methods after creating every word on the board. This calculation would improve their mathematical skills.
- Entertains the kids: Besides improving the vocabulary and mathematical skills of the kids, scrabble also offers entertaining time to the entire family. Spending a happy time, full of laughter and fun and of course free of stress will help the kids as well as adults to build stronger immune systems.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas conduct various high-yielding activities for kids of all age groups. These kids’ activities include leisure reading and writing activities with tutoring and games like Scrabble that develops their cognitive skills.
For more information, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Leisure reading can be referred to as reading any book, novel or magazines in your free time. Earlier when there used to be no televisions or computers, reading was the primary leisure activity for kids. Kids and teens loved to read comics, story books or even light novels. With the changing times and advent of technology, children prefer to play video games or chat on the Internet with their friends. They have somehow lost their passion for reading. As leisure reading offers a productive approach to improve vocabulary and word power, teens should be encouraged to pick the habit of reading in their leisure time. The leisure reading will help them perform better in school. There are various advantages associated with reading that show how important leisure reading is for teens. A few of them are:
- Higher IQ level: The teenagers who have a habit of leisure reading have comparatively higher IQs. They have a tendency to perform much better in academics and are also very creative. Parents are advised to infuse the habit of reading in their kids in early years because it is observed that those kids will have better communication skills.
- Mental exercise: Reading is to mind what exercise is to body and this wonderful habit assists in mental development. Reading also is known to stimulate eye muscles. It also helps improve the concentration of the reader. This leisure activity adds to the individual’s conversational skills while enhancing the knowledge consistently.
- Vocabulary: Reading is a way to improve your grammatical skills as well as vocab. Teenagers, who choose to take an exit exam for getting admission in graduate high school, perform well if they are into the habit of reading since these exams test the vocabulary of the student.
- Exposure: Besides adding to general knowledge, the readers are exposed to different subjects, stories, cultures, people and their ideology. Leisure reading broadens the horizons of the teenagers making them think well personally as well as professionally. Reading different books help the teenagers explore different things.
- Relaxation: Reading a good book can divert a teen’s mind from his everyday text books and can also help him relax and calm down.
- Inexpensive habit: This leisure activity is a safe and healthy form of enjoying your free time. Unlike other hobbies like playing video games, watching movies or even listening to songs on some costly mp3 player, the hobby of reading is very inexpensive.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas organize year-round kids activities for boys and girls of 6-18 years of age. We provide a variety of grouped and individual recreational, educational and social programs. You can contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call us at 254-699-5808 Ext: 102.
If you ask a kid about his favorite games, he will undoubtedly mention some video games or computer games. These days, kids are more involved in high-tech digital games than the outdoor kids activities. Also, playing video games is one of the basic reasons for the rise in child obesity. Playing outdoors, on the other hand, helps the child to stay fit and healthy. The fast paced life has somehow restricted you to spend time with your kids and encourage them to participate in sports or other fun filled activities. But, if you want your child to be strong and live healthy, then you will have to boost him to indulge in fitness activities.
Here are a few fun activities that you can enjoy with your kids while ensuring their fitness.
- Frisbee Golf: Frisbee golf is a popular game among people of all age-groups, which combines the fitness advantages with the pleasure of playing a fun game. It is very much like regular golf, the only difference being that the players use a flying disc or Frisbee in this game. All you need to play Frisbee Golf is a large grass field and colored cones that you place at the four holes. For every hole, you need to place one cone by the tee area of the hole and the other at the target area. You have to repeat the same thing for all the holes. The game involves throwing the Frisbee from the tee area to the target for the hole and then run to the Frisbee. You need to hit the target in as less throws as possible while facing obstacles in the way, if any.
- Musical Chairs: ‘Musical chairs’ is a very common fun-filled and entertaining game that aims to make children active. It’s a simple game that requires chair or hula loops set next to each other. There is one chair less than the number of players. The kids have to move around the chairs when the music starts and are supposed to sit on the chair when the music stops. The one left out is asked to perform some dancing or singing as a punishment. One of the chairs is taken out after every round.
- Cheerleading: Cheerleading is certainly a great way to keep your kid fit and active. This activity involves the cheerleaders to keep physically strong. The cheerleaders are required to exercise regularly so that their arms, leg and abdomen are energetic during performances.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas offer various sports and recreational activities for your kids including cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, photography, digital art and many more. To enroll your kid in any of these programs, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
The word digital is clubbed with almost everything in our lives today and art is no exception. Today, even art has gone digital and you can now use your computer to create any form of art. The advancement in computer and graphic technology lets you create great pieces of art and any other expression of your creativity with complete accuracy and neatness. There are a myriad of features to help you excel at your creation, which were simply impossible to have access to in the yesteryears.
Digital art being a modern field, is catching up fast in web designing, graphic designing, music technology, photo illustration, etc. It has become important to introduce digital art in schools so as to make children familiar with how to use their computers to create a piece of art. Music has been shown to have a positive impact on kids as it helps them develop a fondness for learning and at the same time, they develop the confidence of composing their own music easily on their computers. They can play any instrument of their choice on their computers with extreme ease.
Web designing is also an offshoot of digital art and a fast growing career amongst the youngsters of today. Kids can also be taught to modify photographs digitally by using special software for enhancing the images and transforming them into a piece of art. They can also make use of this technology through graphic designing whereby they can create posters, logos etc to put across a point. This can also transform into a remunerative career for them in future and increase their confidence in using the computer to communicate their ideas.
Introducing kids to digital art early on teaches them how to use their computers for creative tasks and not just for simple jobs tasks such as typewriting, surfing, or playing games. It helps them put their imagination to use, generate new ideas and explore new avenues of being creative. Digital art makes learning an exciting experience that kids look forward to and enjoy. No age is too young to introduce kids to digital art as even pre-schoolers can scribble and paint anything of their choice. Bigger kids can draw, paint, and add interesting effects to their work. Let your kid explore the vast world of digital art and set his own limits on how far he wants to tread on this exciting journey of creativity.
We at the Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize Digital Arts Suite and Festivals that includes programs like Web Tech (Web page design), Design Tech (graphic design), Photo Tech (photo illustration), Music Tech and Movie Tech. To know more about these programs visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Self-esteem can be defined as feeling of perceiving worthwhile about you. With a good self-esteem a child will not be scared of trying new things without much fear of failing. A good self-esteem in a child will let him reach out and make friends. It will also help him to settle down the frivolous problems that he comes across. Your child would build a solid foundation for life with a good self-esteem. Self esteem develops during infancy and keeps going on until we are adults. A child may experience low self-esteem if he does not feel loved by his family. Likewise, a child who is hesitant about his or her own abilities can also develop a low self-esteem.
Kids keep on trying new things unless they succeed, thus developing ideas about their own capabilities. Therefore, childhood is the best time to develop and promote self-esteem. Parents play a key role to helping kids form accurate, healthy self-perceptions. Given below are few tips for parents to follow that will help their child to develop a healthy self-esteem:
- Be a Positive Role Model: Children see their parents as their role models. They do whatever their parents will. If the parents will often say ‘I can’t do’ or ‘I won’t be able to do’, then children will also start developing the ‘can’t do’ attitude and will shirk from work.
- Encourage Positive Risk Taking: A self-confident child will have the inner fortitude to try new things or kids activities, even if there is a risk of failure. Encourage them as they try out new skills. Walk with your kid on unfamiliar paths just for the adventure of seeing where you reach. This will raise the confidence of trying out new things within your kid.
- Let Children Make Choices: Let your toddler choose what he or she wants to wear for the party. Let your kid make a choice on whatever he wants to eat when you go out for a meal. After he is done with his selection let him know about the good and bad aspects of the food item that he ordered, in a calm and humble way. Asking the kid to select what he or she wants, will lead to attain self confidence in a child.
- Let Children Solve Problems: When a child is in some frivolous problem, let him help himself. There is no need to rush to help him. Just give him time to be creative enough to sort out things. This will not only develop self confidence in your child but will also help him to be self-dependent.
We at Boys & Girls Club of Central Texas organize ‘Goals for Growth’ program for kids between the age group 8-12 years. The program helps them identify their own strengths and enhances their self-esteem with various kids’ activities. For more details, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Involving your kids in athletics could be one of the best things you could be gifting them. It means fitness and self-confidence for lifetime. It has been observed that kids these days have a tendency of slipping into sedentary lifestyles owing to the boom of technology. They prefer spending their free time on computers or watching their favorite TV shows instead of participating in outdoor activities.
The rise of obesity in the United States of America is a sign of the alarming condition of today’s kids. A poor lifestyle leads to poor eating habits, which in turn make kids lazier leading to unnecessary weight gain and other health complications at an early age. It is high time parents in the United States motivated their kids to participate in athletic and other kids activities for their better future.
Athletics comprise of running, jumping and throwing, all being activities that require strength and regular practice. Athletics benefit kids profoundly in the following ways:
- Health benefits: Athletics help kids stay active and fit due to the nature of activities involved. This keeps a check on their weight as they eat only when hungry and do not suffer from unnecessary cravings of junk food. This discipline as far as food and an active lifestyle are concerned stays with them throughout their lives keeping them lean even as adults. Another major health benefit is that such kids are less prone to stress and depression as adults.
- Socializing: Athletics give kids an opportunity to interact with other kids from different backgrounds thus improving their social skills. They learn how to put up with all sorts of behavior like tantrums and bossiness displayed by other kids. Being a part of a team helps them learn the value of cooperation with others and sportsmanship. Kids develop great friendships on the field and learn to respect each other. They end up becoming disciplined adults with strong work ethics and perseverance to go through the toughest situations.
- Better academic performance: Kids involved in athletics show signs of improved motor skills and strategic thinking, which helps them perform better academically. They even focus on their studies better as they are less tempted to go towards drugs and other wrong habits.
- Inexpensive: You do not have to think twice before engaging your child in athletics as it is very affordable as compared to other forms of sports. All your kids need to do is change into their sports gear and run off as there is no expensive sports equipment involved.
We at Boys & Girls Club of Central Texas organize various sports and recreational activities for your kids including Tackle Football, Basketball, volleyball, Track and Cheerleading. For more details, visit us at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
As a parent, you are always thinking about what kind of food your kids should eat in order to maintain good health. Since a balanced and healthy diet is essential for a kid’s growing body, every parent must know the importance of nutrition. Nutritious food gives your children the energy they need and help in their overall physical and mental development. With little efforts, parents can easily instill healthy eating habits in their kids at an early age. However, peer pressure and the growing trend of junk food makes this task a challenge for the parents. Therefore, it becomes extremely important for the parents to make their kids eat the right food in a very positive way. Let’s see how parents can teach their kids healthy eating habits.
- Be a good role model: Parents are a role model for kids who are likely to do whatever their role model does. They will develop the eating habits of their parents. If the parents pick up healthy snacks and cereals to eat, the kids are sure to follow and eat a healthy and nutritious meal. Frequent family meals encourage the kids for healthier food choices.
- Take your kids out for shopping: Whenever you go out for grocery shopping take your kids along with you and talk to them about various food products that are sold in a grocery store like fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs etc. Tell them how these foods effect the body and what are the several benefits of eating healthy stuff. This will make a good impression of the healthy food stuff in their minds and they will log on to a nutritious diet.
- Flexibility in food is also necessary: Don’t just stick to a healthy meal choice for every day. A special treat of pizza or any other food just once a week won’t do any harm. Rather this would help make them have an enjoyable experience and will also help your child to maintain healthy eating habits.
- Prepare a personal food planner with your kids: A personal food planner will help your kids pick up more nutritious food and avoid unhealthy food. Sit and prepare a chart with your kids that include the food stuff that should be avoided and all the healthy meals that should be included in his diet. In the chart you can also include the food stuff that your kid likes but is not much healthy and can be eaten occasionally. This will help your kid to pick nutritive food items.
- Avoid highly processed food: Highly processed food contains preservatives, chemicals, synthetic fats, additives, artificial sweeteners, and food colorings. These things are harmful for a growing kid. He/she may develop certain allergies, obesity, high blood pressure that leads to hazardous diseases. Therefore, try to completely avoid this food stuff or you can allow your kids to eat them seldom.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run various child care programs to incorporate healthy living and active learning in your kids. The program emphasizes on good nutrition, physical activities and overall well being. To register, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.