Good academics today do not come merely through classroom teaching; rather they are an outcome of innovative activities. Young kids today learn a lot through various kind of activities organised by the kids’ clubs.
Following are some tips that will help you keep a tab on improving your child’s academic performance.
- The importance of reading can never be undermined. Reading not only gives a wider perspective to things, but also adds to a child’s power of thinking. It improves vocabulary too. As a parent, reading with your child from a very early stage is the best thing you can do.
- It is vital to ignite and keep alive the knack of asking curious questions within a child. The more kids ask questions, the better it will be for their academic development. Questions arise from problems, and finding solutions to the same is something that will sharpen the intellect of your child.
- Motivate your child to seek knowledge rather than ‘A’ grades. This will work as a wonderful catalyst for the child’s learning. Besides, you can also motivate by rewarding your child’s performance suitably, but take care that reward does not turn into greed and thereby impedes your child’s actual learning.
- A child learns best through love, praise, and encouragement. Discipline is important of course, but there is a fine line between ensuring discipline and being strict. Encourage the child to try out new things, and learn from the practical situations he or she faces in real life.
- For healthy learning, a healthy body is undoubtedly important. For this, you could enrol your kid at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas. Physical activities and sports form an integral part of your child’s daily routine. Besides these, participation in community events or doing something of value for the environment, are measures that can contribute to the kid’s learning.
All the above things said and done, the most important thing you can give to your kid is free time and attention. Early years lay the foundation for a child’s development. As a parent, you can make these learning years fruitful by contributing in a practical and efficient manner.
To enroll your kids in programs offered at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call 254-699-5808.
The Boys & Girls Club - Texas is a nonprofit organization providing after-school child care programs and activities for kids aged 6-18 years. The Skills Mastery & Resistance Training Program is one of our most popular programs, which is specifically designed with an aim of safeguarding teenagers from anti-social activities. Also known as The SMART Moves, it is a prevention program that aims at educating kids regarding the harmful effects of drug and alcohol abuse. It also promotes abstinence in youngsters by discouraging them from indulging in premarital sexual activity.
This program has been effective in encouraging children to channelize their energy in a positive direction, and exercise the power of saying “no”. Ever since the inception of our club, thousands of kids have participated in this program, and benefitted from its teachings. We adopt practical and engaging techniques to ensure that the kids take home with them the message that underlies this program. The children are also encouraged to develop a positive and trusting relationship with their mentors, thus giving them a platform to address their doubts and ask for guidance when they need it.
The efficiency of the Skills Mastery And Resistance Training Program can be attributed to its unique “group” approach, whereby club staff, peer leaders, parents, and community representatives are involved. While the club staff is professionally trained on how to impart these skills to children, the involvement of peer leaders gives kids the confidence of being able to openly participate in all discussions and activities. We also strongly encourage the parents to be a part of the program, as this goes a long way in breaking the barrier of communication between the kids and their parents. This is an invaluable learning for the children, as they find a confidant in their own home.
The program is not just limited to stressing on a “say no” approach, but instead adopts multiple techniques to make the children understand why saying “no” is the better choice. These techniques include active discussions, role-playing activities, media analysis, and a strong emphasis on peer influence. In addition, the program incorporates a variety of activities which aim at developing assertiveness and decision making skills in kids, as well as practicing resistance and refusal skills. The program is divided into various components, which include SMART Kids, for ages 6-9; Start SMART, for ages 10-12; Stay SMART, for ages 13-15; and SMART Leaders, a peer leader/booster program for older teens.
The adage, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" could not be more apt when it comes to oral health. We, at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas, understand the importance of oral hygiene and have been making a considerable progress in organizing health programs like cavity-free-zone to ensure that all the kids in Texas are aware of good dental health. The cavity-free-zone program offered by our kids club features fun and engaging sessions to help kids understand and prevent the devastating effects of bad oral hygiene.
Speaking of, here’s a list of few negative effects of bad oral hygiene:
- Inflammation of the gums
- Loss of teeth
- Infections in the gums
- Diabetic complications
- Asthmatic problems
- Ear infections
- Behavioral difficulties
- Bad breath
- Oral cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
In order to maintain a good oral health of your kids and avoid the aforementioned medical problem, you must follow the following steps:
- Regular dental checkups: You might think your kids’ teeth are healthy, but taking them to the dentist regularly for a thorough dental checkup is the only way to be sure. It is important that your kids have time-to-time comprehensive dental exams to detect as well as predict the problems that can affect their oral health.
- Start young: Make sure you take your child to a pediatric dentist as soon as the first tooth comes in. Starting young with dental checkups not only help kids overcome the fear of dentists but also aid them in evaluating the health of their gums and teeth.
- Brushing and Flossing: It is very important that kids brush and floss their teeth twice a day. In addition, make sure they follow the proper technique for brushing. The careful selection of toothpaste and toothbrush is also essential.
- Eat healthy: Many of you might not be aware of the fact that your diet can also affect your oral health. To maintain the oral health of your kids you must expose them to calcium rich products such as milk, cheese, broccoli, yogurt etc. It is also important for them to cut down on sweets, chocolates and cold drink. Not only do these products increase the risk of dental problems, but also result in other health complications.
To enroll your kids into the cavity-free-zone programs organized at our kids club, visit 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also call us at 254-699-5808.
Agree or not, years seem to strike at warp speed when you have kids at home. 7 month olds become 7 year olds in a blink of an eye, and thus begins the real challenge. Video gaming and other technology driven activities become their norm, making it a dare for parents to intensify their interest in physical activities. Then again, another challenge for parents comes up while deciding the appropriate activity for their kids to participate in.
We, at Boys and Girls Club Texas understand the essence of decision-making and provide you with a range of indoor and outdoor activities to choose from. Some of the sport activities offered by us include youth football, cheerleading and youth basketball. However, when it comes to group activities there is something about cheerleading which never seems to grow old.
So, let’s take a look at some of the benefits associated with this sport and find out what makes it a popular kids’ activity in Texas:
- Physical exercise: Many of you are not aware of the fact that cheerleading is one of the most popular forms of physical exercises as it requires kids to perform dancing, stretching, stomp and various other gymnastic stunts. All these cheerleading routines and workouts not only help children build stronger muscles and bones but also help them maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Coordination: Cheerleading is a sport which requires an equal participation of mind and body. In order to complement the steps, the mind and body of a cheerleader need to be constantly tuned with other teammates’. This form of mental and physical exercise helps them improve their body movement and encourage body and mind coordination.
- Confidence and Self-Esteem: Involving kids in cheerleading programs is an effective way to build their confidence and self-esteem. As they become more contented in their own skin, their confidence and self-esteem get improved.
- Teamwork: The most obvious advantage associated with this sport is that children learn the value of teamwork which in turn fosters good relation among them. Furthermore, it also teaches cheerleaders the importance of sportsmanship and trust.
Our Boys and Girls Club Texas organizes cheerleading programs for youth between 7 – 12 years. For more information, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also call us 254-699-5808.
The Boys And Girls Club of Central Texas is a kids and youth center dedicated to providing high-quality child care and enriching activities centered towards the overall development of its members. We have been serving the Central Texas area for over a decade, and have gained a reputation as one of the premier youth centers in the region, organizing year-round creative and innovative activities, catering to the diverse interests and age groups of our club members.
Along with a wide range of kids activities and child care programs, we also provide several sports events for kids up to 18 years of age, including football, basketball, and track. Here is an overview of the kids activities organized at our club:
- Character and leadership activities such as Youth of the Year, Torch Clubs, Keystone Clubs, and Goals for Growth. These activities encourage kids to contribute to their communities and families, and focus on building the moral character, life goals, and public poise and presentation.
- Education and career programs, which include Project Learn, Goals for Graduation, Power Hour, CareerLaunch, Junior Staff Career Development, Skill Tech, Skill Tech II, and Money Matters: Make It Count. The key focus of these programs is to encourage the kids to spend their non-school hours in fun, yet academically-beneficial activities. Children are taught academic goal-setting skills, provided with after-school tutoring, and assisted in making the right educational decisions.
- Health and Life Skills activities, including Cavity-Free Zone, SMART Moves, SMART Girls, SMART Leaders, Passport To Manhood, and Healthy Habits. These programs aim at making the kids ready for life, by building their physical, mental, and emotional strength.
- The Arts Program, which comprises of activities like the National Fine Arts Exhibit Program, ImageMakers National Photography Contest, Summer Music Camp for Teens, and Digital Arts Suite and Festivals. These activities are ideal for children with an artistic streak, and help to nurture the talent of these gifted kids, giving them the right platform to explore their potential.
- Sports Fitness and Recreations program, in which kids can participate in various sports activities such as the Youth Football League, Youth Basketball League, and Cheerleading. We take pride in our organized sports leagues and aim at giving kids the right environment to build their expertise in a sport of their interest.
To learn more about any of the above activities, or to register your child as a member of Boys And Girls Club of Central Texas, contact us today at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
No wonder, Football is considered as one of the most popular sports activities in America specially among youth. Many people in Texas are taking steps in making their kids join youth football programs for two apparent reasons- one, for the sake of their kid's interest in the game and two because of the health and other benefits associated with it. Speaking of which, let's find out what the benefits of playing youth football are-
- Coordination: Football is a sport in which there's no room for “I”. It is a “we” sport in which each player from goalkeeper to mid fielder, striker to defender, has his own importance and role. While playing football, players get to know their teammates, learn to help each other and work in unity to achieve the common goal. The sense of coordination learned while playing football does not only help them in the football ground but also in the long run.
- Fitness: Performing exercises is a great way to keep your body fit and fine and there is no better way to do that than indulging yourself in some kind of sport activity. The game of Football requires the player to stay active and run a lot, this help player to get a good cardiovascular workout. Even the football training involves a lot of running, walking, sprinting and jumping that help kids remain fit in and out of the field.
- Character: Discipline is one of those things that every parent wants his/her child to learn. Although football ranks on top in the category of aggressive and contact sports, it does make kids learn discipline in a way. Getting into a conflict is a common thing, even for elders, but resolving a conflict demands real patience and discipline, which are not so common. Good news is that football teaches both these important qualities to the players.
- Sociality: Agree or not, we are somewhere losing our social skills. Even the kids today prefer to watch TV, surf Internet or play video games than interacting with each other. Participating in youth football games make kids interact with other teammates, developing and maintaining social bonds that last for lifetime.
- Confidence: One of the things that kids learn from youth football is confidence. 90 precious minutes spent in the field teach them how to keep calm and be confident. This positive outlook surely does help them in facing difficult situations in every stage of life.
To get your child enrolled in Youth Football program at Boys & Girls Club of Central Texas, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
A well-developed personality can make your child reach great heights in every field. Although it is an tiresome and never ending process to develop good personality in children, all you need is patience and hard work to see your child succeed.
A child with a confident personality develops excellent communication skills and gets the ability to explore different fields. He also learns good manners and etiquettes that can do wonders for him in the future as well. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas organizes different kids activities so that they can develop a strong personality.
Read on to know how you can contribute towards building up your child’s personality…
- You must make your kid aware about his positive as well as negative aspects. Do not ignore his weak points and always praise if he is good at anything. Of course, it is good to appreciate your child when he does something well but you must also be concerned about the areas where he is lacking. For instance, your child might not be interested in sports at all or might feel shy in conversing with other kids. In such a scenario, you must make him realize that he should improve upon these areas.
- Make your child join the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas so that he can pursue additional hobbies apart from excelling on the academic front. It can also help your child overcome his fears and weak areas. This is because this kids club involves children in various activities that help them develop a confident personality. Gradually the children find even the most boring things very interesting.
- At the same time it is very important that you do not force your child to do something that he is not interested in. You must give him proper freedom and space to choose the activities he loves to accomplish. Do not overburden him with your unrealistic expectations as this can hamper his personality growth and crush his confidence as well.
- While developing the personality of your child, it is imperative that you exhibit a lot of patience. These things do not happen overnight as personality development is a slow learning process.
- Last but not the least; it is very important that you become a good role model for your children. Your child will watch you and eventually learn what they see. Therefore, it is important that you set a good example in front of your kids. You must not display aggressive emotions in front of your children as this can affect their heart and mind. Consequently, there will be a bad effect on their personality development.
In addition to all the things that we teach our children, proper dental care is the most important one. It will not only ensure healthy gums and teeth but also keep serious medical issues at bay as they get older. Basic dental care involves brushing teeth, flossing them and getting regular check ups. Consistency is very important as far as oral care is concerned. Parents should inculcate in their kids the habit of brushing twice daily for the best oral health.
Children pick up most of the habits by observing their parents. So, parents should set an example of good dental care for their kids. The foundation of healthy permanent teeth is laid during the first years of life. Poor habits of food intake and inadequate tooth brushing during the first two years of life have been shown to be related to tooth decay in children. Therefore it is crucial to establish a proper dental care regimen early in life to ensure the development of healthy and strong teeth.
Importance of oral hygiene:
- Lays the foundation for the development of strong and healthy permanent teeth.
- Good oral health prevents diseases like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, respiratory diseases and even cancer in adulthood.
- Protects your child from the wrath of painful toothaches and consequent costly dental treatments.
- Healthy teeth enable a child to eat and speak better.
- Keep bad breath away.
Tips for proper dental care:
- Encourage your child to brush twice daily. Show them how to maneuver the toothbrush around their mouths and the amount of tooth paste they require. A pea-size drop is ideal.
- In addition to brushing, floss your child’s teeth daily to remove plaque from between the teeth and gums. Show your child how to wrap it around his or her fingers and fit it between each and every tooth, gently cleaning between them all.
- Make sure your child develops the habit of eating a well balanced diet that’s limited on starchy and sugary foods.
- Take your child for regular dental checkups to the dentist. He will be able to teach your children proper dental care with illustrations.
- Teach your child not to swallow the paste.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth first with a soft bristled toothbrush. Then clean the outer surfaces of each tooth gently back and forth.
- Even brush the tongue.
The Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas’s ‘Cavity-Free Zone’ program aims to spread awareness about good oral hygiene amongst kids in order to improve their dental health. The program includes a lot of fun activities for Club members of the age groups 6-9, 10-12 and 13-15.
If you are interested in enrolling your kids in the Cavity-Free Zone program, kindly visit us at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Child Care Texas - Boys And Girls Club Texas - Tutoring Texas
Public speaking is a skill that will benefit your child throughout his or her life. It’s very important for parents to encourage their kids to shed any inhibitions of speaking in front of a group of people. This can be a great opportunity for your child’s growth. It is a great confidence booster and a useful skill in every sphere of life.
Children are naturally fearful of new situations. A good way of helping them overcome such hesitation can be speaking on a favorite topic. They can be told to jot down a few points on the topic. This will help in organizing their thoughts. Create a relaxed environment and display an air of confidence that shares their warmth and enthusiasm about speaking. This can be a fun experience for both parents and children.
Public speaking can be beneficial for kids in the following ways:
- Prepares a child for the future: Good public speaking skills enable one to get the best jobs. Children who are encouraged to speak in public tend to grow into confident adults who perform well in job interviews. This makes their future secure. Even as students, they perform well in debating groups and student organizations.
- Sheds inhibitions: Children are full of self doubt and fear especially when exposed to unfamiliar situations. However, if tactfully taught to overcome this fear, they can lose such inhibitions at an early age. With practice and patience, parents can help their children cope with their anxieties. Research shows that kids who speak confidently perform better in class. They are proficient in presenting projects, ideas and arguments in front of their classmates.
- Boosts confidence: Public speaking increases the feelings of self worth in a child. When a child feels his opinion is appreciated, he develops immense confidence. This confidence kills any sort of hesitation and nervousness when in a public setting. You can even get your child involved in hobby classes at school to help him or her open up with other children. Such experiences greatly boost a child’s self worth.
- Better language skills: Good public speaking involves formulating ideas, coming up with cohesive arguments, answering questions spontaneously and using persuasive sentences. These are skills that are beneficial to a child in school and even at work in adulthood. Kids with superior communication skills can excel in the field of media and can eventually critique books and other documents effectively.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run several programs to foster leadership, personal growth and public speaking qualities in your kid. To get your child enrolled in any of these programs or for any related query, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Child Care Texas - Tutoring Texas - Boys And Girls Club Texas
“Money does not grow on trees” might be the perfect lesson for life to teach your children. However, this lesson is not quite as easy to teach, as it is to say. It takes years of setting rules, reasoning out with your kids, and helping to practically implement money management skills, before you can safely hand over a stash of notes to your teens, knowing that they will be in safe hands. No age is too early to begin imparting these valuable skills to your little ones, and you can start with children as young as two.
The following tips should help you get your way around bringing out the smart shopper in your child, but remember that you will needs lots of patience and perseverance to actually achieve your goal.
- Start giving your child a weekly allowance: You can follow the thumb-rule of a dollar multiplied by your child’s age, per week to decide the amount of allowance that is suitable for your child.
- Teach them how to divide their money into different jars: Help your child to divide his/her money into different jars, labelled ‘charity’, ‘quick cash’, ‘middle-term goals’, and ‘long-term goals’, or anything else you can think of.
- Involve them in the grocery shopping experience: Right from making a shopping list to sticking to it at the grocery store, and looking out for the best prices, grocery shopping is one of the best ways to teach your child how to manage money.
- Be a good role model: It’s simple- your child will mimic your money-spending habits; splurge and he’ll splurge, save and he’ll save!
- Inculcate the reward feeling of a hard-won goal: Even if you can afford something that your child really wants, do not buy it right when she asks for it. Let your child anticipate the reward, so that she can value it when she finally gets it.
- Play board games that involve money: Board games that involve fake money, like monopoly, are a great way to make your child learn the importance of saving, and get a feeling of handling money.
- Let them take charge occasionally: Get your child involved in processes like planning a vacation, letting them do the research, make bookings, and take important decisions. This will instil in them the much-needed confidence to be world-ready.
- Open for them an account of their own: Opening a savings account for your child is a great way to make them feel responsible and secure, and also help them save a big amount of money without spending needlessly.
We at Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas, run a wide number of grouped and individual recreational, educational and social programs for the overall development of your kids. One such program is the ‘Money Matters’ program which promotes financial responsibility and independence among the kids. It teaches them managing their budget and saving and investing the right way.
To know more about this program or to enrol your kid in the same, kindly visit us at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541. You can also contact Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Boys And Girls Club Texas - Kids Activities Texas