It is imperative to keep the kids involved in something productive and worthwhile so that they don’t go astray. As a parent or a teacher, it is important that you keep experimenting and each time find something innovative for the kids to do. Outdoor activities are a great way to develop the physical, mental and emotional health of the kids. Read on to know some of the great ideas for outdoor activities that can engage your kids in having a great time.
- Nature has a whole lot of things to teach to the kids. Therefore, you must make your kids explore the nature whenever possible. Go for a hike or camping where you can play different kinds of games. Engage your kids in outdoor cooking as well and see how much fun they will have.
- Going out for fishing is another great activity that your kids will just love. Remember to give them safety tips beforehand. This will educate them about handling the situation whenever they are near a water body. Practical experience of fishing will help them learn how it is actually done and the kids will definitely enjoy it.
- Introduce your kid to lesser know outdoor sports such as archery or canoeing. Engage them for coaching in these games to develop their various skills.
- Bird watching is another very interesting activity and the kids will have a chance of viewing something different. Teach your kids how they can attract birds to their homes by providing the correct environment as well as birdfeed.
- Children can also be engaged in gardening so you can develop their interest by setting up a small garden. You will enjoy seeing them get happy and feel joyous when they see the vegetables and fruits grow. Assist them in gardening and it will be a great outdoor activity for your kids.
- Kite flying is another great option to indulge the kids in. You can help them in making the kites by themselves and fly them high.
There is a lot that can be done if you carefully think and plan some outdoor kids activities. Child experts recommend that it is necessary for the kids to go outdoors and not just keep on sitting inside the homes watching TV and playing on the computer.
- Outdoor activities provide the following benefits:
- Outdoor activity helps the children remain fully active and also boosts up their mental health.
- When kids play outdoors, they get a chance to develop new friendships which helps in social development as well.
- Emotional development is also encouraged with outdoor activities as children learn to take risks and also develop independence.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas offer various outdoorl activities for your kids. To enroll your kid in any of these programs, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Creative activities help children develop their overall personality. These help children develop imagination, problem solving abilities and logic as well. It is imperative expose them to such activities at an early stage so that it helps them in the longer run. Read on to know how you can develop creativity in your kids…
- The creativity of a child comes out extremely well when he is given the right kind of environment. Involve him in kids activities like gardening, exploring parks and museums. Make him give inputs in art projects, read books and listen to music etc.
- Do not always put the pressure of time on your kids. Give them space as well as ample time to develop their creative juices.
- Children are always very inquisitive by nature and love to ask questions from their parents or other elders around them. But parents must make sure that they do not get irritated when they are questioned regarding anything. Discouraging children from asking questions can block their creative expression and hinder the imagination process.
- Introduce creative use of different items to your child to give a kick to his imagination power. For example, a hat can become a basket or a flower pot and so on. Let your child use his own mind to find something new in everything he sees.
- You must try and ask your children different types of open-ended questions to improve their level of understanding. For example, an imaginative question could include: What would happen if birds start talking like humans? Or you could ask them something which would make them give ideas for improvement of something. An example could be: How can you make your room neat and clean?
- Another important aspect of developing creativity in children is to play with them. You can encourage them to enact different characters such as an animal and also use props to make the whole thing more exciting.
- Children do love to play in mud and get dirty or build sand cast. In the process, they soil their clothes and create a complete mess. But do not discourage them from indulging in a mess. These types of games are equally important as children learn many new things. You must in fact tell them to clean themselves up later on after they are done playing.
- Whenever you tell a story to your kid take inputs from your child. This will help your kid use his imagination and bring out the creativity in him. Although most of the things he will say will be silly, you must let him carry on and not interrupt.
For more information, visit us at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas We conduct various program emphasizes on good nutrition, physical activities and overall well being. To register your kid, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Kids clubs are a great way to keep your children engaged in some fruitful activity while learning valuable practical lessons of life. There are a number of activities for children specially designed by these clubs that help them evolve as individuals while having fun at the same time. Activities at kids clubs are related to health skills, personality development, sports, career and education among many others. Following are some of the main reasons why you should encourage your child to join a club.
With the advancement in technology, most of the children like spending their time indoors. They love playing video games or surfing on the Internet. But when a child joins a certain club, he is bound to indulge in a variety of outdoor kids activities that will make his mind and body healthier.
- It has been well said that ‘an idle mind is a devil’s workshop’ and this saying is even true in case of children also. They need to get their minds engaged in something productive, which keeps them away from criminal activities or unhealthy practices. Kids clubs are a great way to keep them engrossed in some fun activity that they really enjoy doing.
- Joining a kids club also makes a child more social as he makes more friends. Kids with like-minded interests attract each other’s attention and this lays a very good foundation for lifelong friendships.
- Children can participate in a variety of activities at the kids clubs and develop new skills. They can also get motivated to pursue a new interest or hobby and develop it further. This acts a great booster for their self-confidence.
- Teamwork is very essential in school as well as in a job later on in life. By joining a kids club, your child can learn the value of working in a team while trying to achieve a common goal with other children. He can get involved in a community service project or some other team game where he has to work in coordination with other kids.
- Kids clubs also organize various activities where children elect their representatives and also take independent decisions. By doing so, they are able to imbibe leadership values and also learn to become good followers.
- Participating in kids’ club activities makes a child an all-rounder and schools always appreciate this fact. A student who is active in a kids club will also be good at studies.
- Besides everything else, participating in kids clubs serves as a great fun activity for children. They enjoy their time and have fun while learning something worthwhile.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas organize year-round kids activities for kids of 6-18 years of age. To get your kid enrolled in any of these activities kindly contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call us at 254-699-5808 Ext: 102.
Children do not like to do homework. If you are a parent who is new at making your child do homework, you will soon realize that verbal motivation or even bribing is going to stop working sooner or later. To be fair, it is not their fault. They are only going to do what they find interesting. Here are a few simple ways to make your child interested in sitting down and doing homework willingly.
Use music to make it fun. This is especially effective in getting the learning part of the homework done. Tables in mathematics or alphabets in English can be easily learned through rhymes. You can either use the classic children`s rhymes like “3 little kittens” or “Ten little Indians”, or even make something up yourself. As long as it is musical and interactive, your child won’t get bored.
Most of the children like to follow what their parents do. If you like to watch television, your child will not sit alone in his room and do his homework. Therefore, try to have a common “homework time” for yourself and your child. Sit down with them with your “homework”. This is a fun and interesting way of making the child understand the importance of homework. While you check the monthly budget against the bills or go through your office work, your child too shall feel encouraged to take his work seriously just as you would be take yours. Do the “homework talk” in between. For example, say things like, “Miss RedWood at office is going to be furious at me If I don`t finish this work.” This way, the child will be able to relate to you. It will help him understand that homework is part of everyone`s life.
One of the key responsibilities of a parent is to make the child understand that doing homework is for his own good. The sooner a child starts taking his homework as his own responsibility, the better it will be for everyone. This is the trickiest part. How does one add fun to something as serious as a responsibility? Well, this is where rewarding comes into play. You must understand that rewards are different from bribes. Also, rewards need to be what a child really wants. For example, you can let your child know that he can play for extra 30 minutes in the ground if he finishes his homework within fixed time. This will not only encourage your child to finish the homework at the soonest possible but will also improve his academic skills. Another example is letting them watch a certain TV program or making a particular dish that they love to eat. Choose rewards that you think can work on daily basis.
The Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organizes ‘Power Hour’, an education program which aims at providing homework help and tutoring to kids between the age group 6-16 years. If you are interested in enrolling your kids in this program, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
There are numerous activities for children that help them remain busy and active. Team building activities are a fun way to inculcate some really good values in children, which will benefit them in all spheres of their life; be it sports, job, school or personal lives. This is the reason why cheerleading is such a great outdoor team building activity for children. Cheerleading is not just about screaming and supporting a team, it involves a lot more. One can enroll his child as a cheerleader in any of the sports like football, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball and swimming. Cheerleading provides mental as well as physical benefits for kids. Read on to know why cheerleading is such a beneficial activity for kids.
- Since cheerleading is a physical activity, it helps increase muscle strength. It also makes increases the cardiovascular strength as it is akin to exercise. Continuous jumping and clapping increases the heart rate, thereby giving a boost to health.
- Cheerleading with a squad is an amazing way to learn the value of teamwork. Since this activity involves a lot of gymnastic stunts and dance steps, children learn to perform together in sync with each other, thereby promoting harmony and teamwork.
- When children are cheerleading, they can form strong bonds and develop friendships that last for a lifetime. Even the families of children get a chance to interact and these turn into trustworthy emotional bondings.
- Children are the part of a team when they are cheering for their squad that is on the field. Therefore, they develop positive traits like confidence, accomplishment and also become physically active. An optimistic attitude and good self-esteem goes a long way in shaping the personality of a child.
- Some schools ask the students to maintain a particular grade if they want to retain their place in the cheerleading squad. Therefore, the students become all the more focused on their studies and work hard towards scoring high grades. This further opens new avenues in higher studies and students also might get a chance to avail scholarships.
- The main job of cheerleaders is to boost the morale of their team. They motivate the players to win. Therefore, involving children in cheerleading can give them a sense of accomplishment and generate positivity in their attitude irrespective of whether their team wins or loses.
Therefore, we can see that cheerleading is a great activity for children to learn the valuable lessons of life. They imbibe a lot of characteristics that help in building their personalities.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas offer various sports and recreational kids activities To enroll your kid in any of these programs or, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
The subject of Arts is not just limited to painting, drawing or sculpture-making, but also includes music, singing, dancing, theatre, cinema, interior designing, and fashion. Activities related to all these fields give an opportunity to children to express themselves, their emotions and imaginations. When parents expose their kids to any of the art activity, they actually trigger their creative thought process. Although, developing interest of a child towards these art subjects might seem to be difficult for some parents, some tips and techniques given below can help them to make this task easy:
- Exposing your young ones towards any age specific art and craft activities at a young age would gradually develop their interest in art. Don’t just let them watch TV or play with dolls and other toys. Rather, set-up any art project for them that is appropriate for their age. If you too will involve yourself in creating a project along with your child, then he is likely to show more interest.
- Let your child listen to various forms of music. Sing and dance with him to his favorite tunes. Attend child specific theatre productions like music concerts, dance shows and many more such events with your kid.
- When your child is old enough, enroll him into a painting or sketching class. If you find that your kid is more drawn toward music, then enrolling him in a dance or singing class would be better.
- Take your child to the art and craft store and let him pick the supplies that he will need in the craft project. Let him choose painting colors, stencil shapes or other things that he thinks would be useful in the artwork.
- Let your child be creative enough to make things from the art and craft supplies present in their homes. Encourage him to make the best use of the material available while creating some craft project. Appreciate his artwork and make room to display it.
- Keep on asking your child about his interests so that you can provide him with the basic amenities that he requires for creating art. For instance, if he is interested in playing some musical instrument then try to provide him with one. You can also enhance his interest by letting him take music lessons where he can get acquainted with the specific musical instrument that he likes to play.
- Your child will get encouraged by your appreciation and will always try to do better in the particular art field that interest him. If you keep on praising him, then he will never lose interest in the art that he has selected for himself. You will always find him confident about his work.
We at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas organize year-round fine art programs for kids between the age group 6-18 years. These programs include drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, mixed media and a lot more. To register your kid in the various art programs, please call Ms Caroll Dunn at 254-699-5808.
Long time back, students at school were labeled smart or dumb merely by evaluating their ability to sort out math problems or writing the correct answers. The students who failed this evaluation test were tagged dumb even if they had different ways of understanding and approaching a problem. You must understand that every child has his own point of view. It’s a challenge for a parent, caregiver or educator to identify children’s life skills and abilities and help them enhance those talents while assisting them in fields where they find difficulties.
Howard Gardner said in his book entitled Theory of Multiple Intelligences that every person differs by experiencing and expressing intelligence in different areas. So is the case with children. A child can show his intelligence in regions like:
- Linguistics: A child that possesses linguistic intelligence likes to read and even write stories, poems etc. He usually mentions about what he has read. He is fascinated by new words and curious to know about their meanings, will be good in spellings and also has a wide vocabulary.
- Logical-mathematics: A child with strong logical intelligence is likely to score high in mathematical test. He will be good in mental arithmetic. He’ll be interested to scientifically know the reason of how things work. He will be quite punctual and well organized.
- Music: A child will show his musical skill by his ability to understand, perceive and create music. He can recognize the tunes and notes. He will often sing or hum and is quick to learn songs.
- Spatial: A child who has strong spatial intelligence is a natural artist. He will be able to notice even small changes and possess good visual imagination. He will enjoy drawing, sketching, coloring or painting. He would love to click various pictures and capture videos, if given an opportunity.
- Bodily-kinesthetic: Your child would be good at sports and other physical activities if he has physical intelligence. The kid will be creative and would like to be involved in various kids activities like cooking, dancing and sewing.
- Intrapersonal: If your child possess intrapersonal skills then he is likely to have a good friend circle. He will be friendly and relate well to people who are younger or older to him. He is a good listener and will often sort out problems among friends.
- Interpersonal: If your child is a deep thinker then he possesses interpersonal intelligence. He is kind of introvert, shy but intelligent. He might not mix up easily with other people.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run special program ‘Goals for Growth’ to help kids identify their strength and enhance their self-esteem by recognizing their goals and hidden skills. To get your child enrolled in this program, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
The fact that cigarette smoking is injurious to health is known to all. Around 4000 different chemicals enter an individual’s body on smoking a single cigarette. These poisonous chemicals damage various cells in a human body that can lead to cancer and an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, such as heart attacks. Despite knowing that cigarette smoking is not a healthy practice, children and teens continue with the habit and it gradually changes to addiction. In US alone, around 4000 youngsters turn chain smokers everyday. When asked the reason of their smoking, they often answer that smoking makes them look fashionable and mature at the same time. It is also seen in some cases that kids acquire this habit from their parents.
You can protect your child by informing him about the health risks associated with smoking. Be a good role model for your child and quit smoking in case you do. Make clear rules and give appropriate reasons to them to keep him away from this habit. When you are talking to your child about the harmful effects of smoking, do it in a calm and subtle way so that you don’t scare him away. Listen to your child patiently when he tells you as to what makes him an addict. Devote him a lot of time by playing with him and taking him for outings. Encourage him to participate in various kids activities like football, baseball, tennis etc that can divert his attention from smoking. It is often seen that teens get into the habit of smoking due to peer pressure. Ask him to firmly say no if any of his friend forces him to smoke. Keep telling him how smoking affects the daily life of children who smoke.
You should develop a friendly relationship with the child at an early age so that he lets you know whatever is happening in his life. This will eventually let the child talk to you freely about smoking. He will also involve you in making decisions and will take your advice on various issues, even on things like smoking. Various kids clubs in US offers several kids’ activities that make them fit and active. Some of the clubs also offer different programs that help the youngsters resist smoking, alcohol and drug abuse. These programs include small group activities that enhance their life skills and build their resiliency. The activities involve various sports like football, volleyball, basketball and cheerleading.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas organize year-round kids activities for kids of 6-18 years of age. To get your kid enrolled in any of these activities kindly contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call us at 254-699-5808 Ext: 102.
The advent in technology has made the life of people very comfortable. Because of this convenient lifestyle, they have become lazy and lethargic too. This modern attitude towards life has not only affected the physical fitness of adults, also the kids. They are no longer as active as they used to be few years back. Now they hardly have spare time for any physical activity. School, drawing, grammar, math coaching and many other such classes tend to increase brain power, but devoid them of getting any kind of muscular strength. It has also been noticed that if the kids get free time, they either like to play video games or watch TV or surf on net. This is one of the reasons that they are not able to maintain proper weight and thereby can be subjected to various health issues. To avoid any health problems among kids that are caused due to lack of physical activities, you must introduce certain physical kids activities in their daily routine. Few of them are discussed below:
- Choose the activity that the kid enjoys: It is seen that every kid is different from the other. He might not enjoy sports like baseball, football etc. He might be more interested in other activities like dancing, swimming or karate. So, it is always better to let him participate in the activity that he likes. In fact, encouraging him to perform better will increase the motivation level of the kid and also enhance his performance. On the other hand, if parents pressurize the child to take part in activities that he does not like then he would not take part in the activity enthusiastically and often skip the classes.
- Participate with your kids: When the parents will actively participate with the kids in their physical activities, the kids would surely enjoy it whole heartedly. The parents are recommended to go out with their kids for playing games like football, basketball, cricket or some other activity that he likes. They can also invite the kid’s friends for a game or two. Spending time with the kids will make them happy and more energetic.
- Limit screen time: Let your kids take up some hobby that involves physical activity, instead of watching TV in their free time. Act like a role model for your kids and involve yourself into some physical activity in your everyday schedule.
- Follow the 'No excuse' rule: Some daily routine works like brushing your teeth, getting ready for school are permitted with ‘no refusals’. Follow the same rule and stick firmly to the decision where participation in some physical activity is involved.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run several sports, fitness and recreational programs for kids between 7 to 12 years of age. To name a few programs are Tackle Football, Track, Basketball and Cheerleading. Besides these, our programs also help them in staying physically fit and developing positive relationships with their peers and adults. You can enroll your kid in any of these programs by visiting our club at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541. You can also call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102
Invented by Alfred Butts during the early 20th century, the game of scrabble is a family favorite that can be played and enjoyed by everyone in the family. Each of the players is provided with a specific number of tiles (seven to ten tiles) that carries English alphabets, out of which they have to create words. Each of the tiles is assigned with a point and each space on the board also carries a definite value. The value of the tile is multiplied with the point on the box. The player who scores the highest points is the winner of the game. Scrabble is quite a simple and an entertaining game and has various advantages for your kids. Few of them are:
- Improves spelling and vocabulary: Scrabble, undoubtedly improves the word spelling of kids. Thereby, many teachers at the school recommend parents to play scrabble with their kids, especially those who are poor at spelling. While playing the game, you can teach the kids the basic rules of spelling a word. They will definitely grasp the word and its spelling quickly. This game will also let your kids know new words and their meanings. While playing the game, if you put a new word on the board, the kids would positively be inquisitive about knowing its meaning and for sure will remember the word for the next time. This way, they will increase their vocabulary too.
- Lets your kids be creative: The brilliant game of scrabble allows the kids to use their own creativity to make new words from the letters provided. While playing the game, they are forced to creatively think of a fun and unique word than the ones already on the board, in order to score good and more than the other players. Some kids also show a smart move by using their tiles to make new words in some specific area on the board to attain more points.
- Improves mathematical skills: Along with improving the English skills, the scrabble also teaches the kids basic math skills. Since each tile of the letters used in the game carries specific points, the kids would have to multiply those points with the value given to the box. In short, the kids would have to apply addition and multiplication methods after creating every word on the board. This calculation would improve their mathematical skills.
- Entertains the kids: Besides improving the vocabulary and mathematical skills of the kids, scrabble also offers entertaining time to the entire family. Spending a happy time, full of laughter and fun and of course free of stress will help the kids as well as adults to build stronger immune systems.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas conduct various high-yielding activities for kids of all age groups. These kids’ activities include leisure reading and writing activities with tutoring and games like Scrabble that develops their cognitive skills.
For more information, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.