Extracurricular activities have been shown to bring about physical, psychological, emotional, social and academic benefits in the lives of children. They are vital for a child’s overall development and add value to the lessons taught at school.
Here are some ways in which extracurricular activities impact child development:
Skills: Extracurricular activities introduce kids to new skills that can
turn into life-long hobbies or passions. When children learn something in a
disciplined environment under the supervision of responsible adults and the
guidance of experts, they are more likely to assimilate the lessons better and
develop new skills.
Academic Performance: Skills adopted
during extracurricular activities reflect on other aspects of a child’s life
like academics. For example, extracurricular activities help children become
disciplined, improve their problem solving skills, boost critical thinking,
creativity and more. These skills influence aspects of academics like reading,
math performance, concentration levels while learning, etc. as a result of
which academic performance improves.
Time Management: Children learn important time-management skills through
extracurricular activities. They learn the value and skill of completing tasks
within a reasonable amount of time. They also learn how to balance different
activities within the day e.g. school, hobbies and interests, friends and
Social Skills: After-school activities encourage team-work and social
interactions with children of different age-groups. These interactions polish a
child’s social skills e.g. teaching how to work in a team, being empathetic,
helping and asking for help, appreciating the victory of others and so on. Such
skills are helpful even after school when forming new relationships and at the
Prospects: Children who engage in extra-curricular activities have higher
chances of getting admission into a college of their choice. The reason for
this is that colleges appreciate students who excel at other things apart from
academics. They value students who have been a part of a sports team, engaged
in voluntary activities or have a passion for something like reading, music,
dance, writing, etc.
Discovery: Children get an opportunity to discover hidden talents and
abilities that are not easy to spot while engaging in the usual school curriculum.
Extra-curricular activities provide opportunities for students to explore
diverse activities and in the process get to know themselves better. Such children
grow into self-aware and confident individuals who excel at what they are good
Meaningful Breaks: In this age of technology and screens, extracurricular
activities offer meaningful and beneficial breaks for children. These
activities keep them physically, socially and emotionally healthy.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize after-school activities for overall development of kids in Killeen, TX. To know more about role of extracurricular activities in child development, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.
Academic success is the culmination of hard work, consistent efforts, discipline, right resources, time management and a variety of other factors. A combination of strategies that suit one’s method of studying, schedule and goals are to be used to be successful academically.
It is important to work efficiently and develop skills that help reach the potential to achieve academic success. Tips for achieving academic success are:
- Planning: Planning before sitting down to study helps in managing your time in the most appropriate way. It helps you to compartmentalize your day into different blocks of time and figure out what is the best time for studying without distractions.
- Set Goals: It is important to set goals for what you want to achieve. Goals give direction to a plan and ensure faster results are achieved. While setting goals, prioritize tasks as per the amount of time you can afford to commit to them. This will help to do justice to other spheres of your life as well, while you work towards academic success.
- Be Your Own Competition: Resist the urge to comparing your performance with others. It will relieve you of unwanted pressure and help you focus on what you want to achieve as per the standards you have set for yourself.
- Take Part In Extracurricular Activities: Mental and physical recovery is paramount for academic success. It helps one remain stress-free and also increases productivity and efficiency. So, take out time for your favorite extracurricular activities like singing, playing games, attending your favorites clubs, etc.
- Attend Classes: Never underestimate the power of class attendance in improving academic performance. Attending classes exposes students to unique viewpoints on a topic shared by a teacher, valuable discussions and useful exam tips.
- Take Notes: Note-taking( both in class and while studying by oneself) is important to understand a subject better. Reviewing notes jotted down during a lecture and highlighting key points makes it easier to revise and memorize a lesson. Notes also make it easier to refresh one’s memory before the next chapter/topic starts.
- Work On Your Memory: Based on your level of concentration, use a method that suits you to memorize what you study. Commonly used methods are flashcards, acronyms, drawing diagrams, recalling what you study in your own words, summarizing, etc.
- Take Tests Smartly: While taking tests, pay attention to oral and written directions, skim through the exam before starting it, start with the easy questions, look for qualifier words (none, never, most, etc.) and relax.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize various academic success programs to help children reach their full potential. The programs are aimed to develop necessary skills and gain practical experience. For more details on tips to achieve academic success, visit 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also contact (254) 699 – 5808.