The early childhood years are highly crucial for mental, physical, intellectual & socio-emotional development. Multiple factors contribute to enhance the mental growth in children; one such important factor is maintaining healthy lifestyle. It significantly improves the mental caliber including cognitive potential and neural mechanism of learning.
Here is an insight into how healthy lifestyle helps in mental growth of children:
- Rich Nutrition - Encourage your children to consume food which provides high nutritional value. Nutrient-dense foods offer all the vital vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, etc. which are important for optimal functioning of the body and mind. It helps build high energy levels, strengthen the immune system and promote brain & neurocognitive development. Also, make sure children drink adequate amount of water per day.
- Exercise - Indulging in exercise or some physical activity promotes physical as well as mental growth. Outdoor or extra-curricular activities, dance, sports, etc. are recreational ways to elevate the psychological health, memory & retention power, confidence, positive integration of thoughts and cognitive skills in children.
- Sound Sleep - Sound sleep is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. During sleep, our body relaxes and functions in a way which may help to stimulate motor skills, concentration, emotional regulation and overall mental health of children. Therefore, sleeping for approximately 9-10 hours is quite necessary for children.
Founded in 1964, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas is an organization that has been curating clubs & programs to help young people enhance their social, physical and academic proficiency. Our programs are packed with activities which promote positive behaviors, good character & citizenship, healthy lifestyle, academia and help children grow into well rounded personalities.
Healthy Lifestyle Programs For Children:
All Stars (Age 6-18): An organized league sport and fitness program for flag football, basketball and dance teams for youth
SMART Girls (Age 8-18): Helps girls to develop healthy attitudes & positive relationships with peers and adults; conducts dynamic sessions, participatory activities, field trips and many more
Triple Play (Age 6-18): A comprehensive health and wellness program which stresses upon the significance of physical activity and proper nutrition.
These are some Healthy Lifestyle Programs which provide a healthy atmosphere for youth to nourish their mental & physical wellbeing. To know more about healthy lifestyle programs for kids, visit www.bgctx.org
You can also visit us at 703 N 8th St. Killeen, TX – 76541 or call at (254) 699 - 5808 for further queries.
Things learnt at an early age tend to stick with us for a life time; thus the emphasis on incorporating healthy lifestyle habits at a young age. Children are highly receptive to the messages they get from adults in their lives. Over time, habits and actions take a seat in the subconscious minds, making them hard to break. So, the implications of lessons regarding healthy lifestyle should be implemented at an early age.
Healthy lifestyle habits should be promoted at an early age due to the following reasons:
- Solid Foundation For Life: Beginning early lays the foundation for life-long habits that are easier to sustain. Children, who are physically active, eat healthy food and snacks and are well-rested keep up with the same habits as adults and find it easier to adopt them under all circumstances.
- Prevents Obesity: Making kids conscious of how different eating and lifestyle patterns impact their lives, carves a path for a life free of weight issues. If these habits can be made second-nature, they will never have to struggle with being overweight and dealing with the health implications thereof.
- Prevents Illnesses: Lifestyle diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart ailments, diabetes and the like can be kept at bay during adulthood if healthy lifestyle habits are inculcated early in life. Being conscious of food and activity choices as a child forms the perfect base for a healthy body as an adult.
- Increases Confidence: A child who eats well, is physically active and sleeps well has higher chances of growing into a confident individual. The child enjoys high self-esteem, performs well academically, socially and emotionally. Such kids have a lower tendency of seeking attention and validation from others as they are sure of themselves and their decisions.
- Healthy Choices: Steering your child’s preferences for food towards the healthier side teaches them an important skill of making the right choice when it comes to what they ingest. At a very young age, a child learns the value of making healthy eating choices and the negative effects of junk food; this prevents cravings for junk food as he grows.
- Academic Success: Kids who are physically active are more likely to attend school regularly and perform better in studies. They also have superior motor coordination as compared to their sedentary peers. They have higher concentration levels, better memory, faster grasping power and more. Such kids are also less prone to mental health issues such as depression and anxiety as they grow.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
offer healthy lifestyle programs for kids in Killeen, TX. To know more about reasons to promote healthy lifestyle at an early age, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.