After-School Activities are a great way to ignite young minds with new learnings & experiences. These multifaceted activities help to promote holistic growth, self-confidence, positive behaviour, emotional stability, communication skills and academic performance.
- Holistic Wellbeing - After-school activities significantly contribute in overall development of a child. They strengthens the physical, mental, social, personal and intellectual health. With holistic care approach, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas empower children to help them maximize their learning potential.
- Enhances Brain Functioning - Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, has curated numerous clubs and after school activities to help students enhance the cognitive power & metacognitive skills. They help children to develop problem resolving skills and self-awareness.
- Improves Emotional Stability & Social Skills - After-school activities creates an interactive learning environment which helps to build socio-emotional competency. It instils a sense of inclusion and offers a healthy social support system. The organic learning in after school activities channelizes the emotions and mental power in a positive manner. Children get to build positive integration of thoughts, new friendships and relations which eventually helps them to hone better social skills.
- Self-Regulation & Behaviour Management - Self-Regulation & Behaviour management are two important components of a healthy persona. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, encourage children to develop interpersonal skills and good character traits. Being in an enriching social landscape, a child learns to maintain his/her composure and gets to demonstrate self-regulation skills and positive behaviour.
- Enhances Physical Well-Being - ‘To Develop a Healthier Generation’ is one of the goals for which Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas has been encouraging students to indulge in various physical activities. Football, basketball, swimming and other sports help in promoting physical wellbeing of children. Well-structured programs at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas propagates healthy lifestyle and wholesome living.
- Boosts Academic Performance - After school activities helps in boosting academic performance of a child. They build higher level of focus and retaining power.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
conducts various after- school activities to impart learning beyond the walls of a classroom. It helps to increase social, physical and academic proficiency. Explore innovative programs designed specifically to encourage youth to excel in academics, become ideal citizens and lead healthy, productive lives.
Enrol your little ones in Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas to reap the benefits of after-school activities.
You can visit Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas administration office located at 703 N 8th St. Killeen, TX – 76541 USA. To know more about clubs, fill the contact form available on the website.
Character building activities refer to activities that foster morals and values in youngsters. These activities help youngsters develop emotional intelligence for handling all kinds of situations as they grow. A good way of engaging students in character development activities is to involve them in after-school activities that focus on instilling kindness, honesty, respect and empathy. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas provide a variety of activities that focus on character development e.g. Goals for Growth, Keystone Clubs, Youth of the Year and more.
Listed below are ways in which character development activities benefit students:
- Instill Values: As children grow and interact with different kinds of people in the society, they require certain values for healthy relationships. They need values like compassion, empathy, respect, honesty, discipline, etc. These can be taught through specific activities under the supervision of responsible adults. The Million Members, Million Hours of Services at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas is a program dedicated to instilling values in youngsters.
- Emotional Skills: The activities make youngsters resilient individuals by teaching them ways with which they can regulate their emotions during challenging situations. The after-school activities help them practice good judgment and resilience. They are also encouraged to exercise self control when it comes to risky behaviors amongst peers. Youngsters learn how to say no when required and also how to remain balanced in all kinds of situations.
- Leadership Skills: The activities aim to strengthen their leadership skills, goal setting abilities and teamwork capabilities which are beneficial in personal and professional situations. The programs offered revolve around academic performance, community services, interpersonal skills and career preparation. When students interact with other students at an after school club, they learn valuable life skills like conflict resolution, sharing, socializing and more.
- Encourage Diversity: Exposing youngsters to activities that demand working together in a team towards a common goal teaches them the value of appreciating unique capabilities of one another. They develop respect for others and learn the importance of working together in spite of difference of opinions, backgrounds, cultures and more.
- Better Academic Performance: Children who a part of after-school activities that emphasize good character are more likely to perform better academically. The reason for this is that the activities help them understand the value of hard work, commitment and dedication to a task at hand. They apply the same principles in their personal and academic lives which lead to positive results.
Effective communication skills are one of the most profound skills for success. They help an individual to express himself confidently and clearly. These skills consist of verbal communication and non-verbal gestures in the form of body language. The best time to start working on communication skills is during childhood.
Here are some ways with which communication skills among kids can be improved:
- Avoid Over-Correction: Resist the temptation of over-correcting your child. Practice patience and understand that every skill takes time to develop and is based on trial and error. Correct sparingly and encourage your child to speak more irrespective of mistakes.
- Be A Role-Model: Children learn by example, so set an example of what you want their communication style to be like. Watch your tone, pronunciation, speed and words used as that is what they will mimic.
- Read More: Read as much as you can with your child as this will introduce new vocabulary and expand his horizons. Do not limit reading to books only but explore everything around you for something to read. This could be a written manual, a cereal box, the newspaper, a poster, etc.
- Praise Often: Praise your child for talking but do not overdo it. When they are younger, try praising them often throughout the day and when they are older, praise them sparingly for things like using a new word. Praise just enough to keep your child motivated and eager to get better.
- Ask Open Ended Questions: This does not mean that you overwhelm your child with a stream of endless questions. Try to be an interesting conversation partner without sounding too interrogative. For example, ask questions like, “What did you do with your friends today?”, “What is it that you like about this book?”, etc.
- Avoid Gadgets: Keep gadgets like phones, televisions, video games, etc. away when communicating with a child; there should be minimum distractions. It will help in strengthening communication skills, expanding imagination and encouraging conversations.
- Work On Body Language: Teach your child about non-verbal cues as a form of communication. Explain the meaning of different body movements and the emotions they convey. Encourage your child to observe people and try to understand what their movements convey.
- Other Tips: Apart from the above-mentioned tips, good communication skills can be achieved by practicing how to make eye-contact while talking to others, asking relevant questions, pausing to think, learning the importance of taking turns during a dialect, active listening, etc.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
offers a safe and secure environment for kids to socialize and build communication skills. The clubs organize various life skill development activities for kids. To know more tips for developing communication skills among kids in Killeen, visit 703 N 8th St.
Killeen, TX – 76541 or call at (254) 699 – 5808.
After-school club activities are important for the overall development of students. They offer opportunities for socializing, taking risks, making decisions, applying logic, exercising team work and more. There are various types of after-school activities that students can engage in depending on their liking and area of interest. Most of these activities even aid in improving their academic performance in addition to polishing up other aspects of their personalities.
Following is a list of various types of after-school activities that students can engage in:
- Career Centric Activities: Students are encouraged to explore their skills and interests and develop them via interactive and voluntary activities. The programs consist of job shadowing, mentoring and training opportunities.
- College Readiness Clubs: Youngsters are prepared for high school graduation, post secondary education and for careers. They are taught to make short and long-term goals and are also taken for college tours.
- STEM Activities: Stress is laid upon understanding the theory and connections of scientific themes. The activities comprise of Engineering Design, Science of Sports, Food Chemistry, Energy and Electricity.
- Photography: Various forms of photography are taught to students e.g. digital, alternative process, black and white and color photography. Local and regional photography contests are held for categories like fashion and style, filters, editing and more.
- Financial Literacy: These activities aim to help students learn how to create budgets, financial management, saving, investing and more. The skills learnt in such clubs help youngsters make sound financial decisions as adults.
- Fine Arts: The focus is on recognizing and developing skills such as painting, printmaking, drawing, mixed media, sculpturing, collage making and so on. Usually select works of participants are displayed at the National Fine Arts Exhibit and other national events.
- Study Assistance: Students have access to homework assistance, learning activities, tutoring and more. They are encouraged to become self-directed learners over time and propelled to complete their assignments on time.
- Brain Games Clubs: These clubs consist of modules whereby students are encouraged to brush up their Math and reading skills with the help of creative expression, projects, discovery, group work and more. A project-based learning approach with theme-based fun activities is used to develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Social Service Clubs: These clubs help the youth discover their innate gifts and use the same for the welfare of the society and for personal development. Stress is laid upon interpersonal skills, community responsibility and work ethics through service and volunteer projects.
- Other Clubs/Activities: Character development clubs, teen clubs, league sports and fitness programs, discussion clubs, personality development clubs, skills mastery and resilience training, self esteem enhancement programs, leadership programs and more.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize an array of after-school activities for kids in Killeen, TX. To know more about types of after-school activities, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.