Healthy lifestyle habits are the backbone of an active and disease-free body. The need for healthy lifestyle habits is at an all-time high due to the lifestyle changes brought about by modern-day living and restricted outdoor movement due to pandemic.
Here are some ways in which healthy lifestyle choices affect children and why they need to adopt them:
- Maintain Healthy Weight: Being conscious of lifestyle habits contribute towards maintaining healthy weight as kids are careful about the kind and quantity of food they ingest. Healthy food choices include fruits and vegetables, whole grains, milk, meats, fish, poultry, nuts, eggs, etc. as opposed to unhealthy ones like fried foods, buttery foods, sweet foods and more.
- Physical Benefits: Being active offers a number of physical benefits to the body such as better lung and heart strength, more flexibility and endurance, protection from diseases, etc. Some forms of physical activity that can be adopted for a healthy lifestyle are walking, running, jogging, swimming, stretching, yoga, Pilates, etc.
- Mind Health: Lifestyle choices directly impact the state of mind and the emotions ensuing from it. A happy mind more often than not resides in a happy and healthy body. Eating well, working out, drinking enough water and sleeping well affect our mood and keep psychological conditions like depression and anxiety at bay.
- Stress Management: Those who adopt healthy lifestyle habits have better capacity to cope with life and work stressors. They are likely to make healthy social connections with others and are better equipped to handle stressful situations with tools like exercise, deep breathing, meditation, yoga and so on. They experience less mental decline and have stronger immune systems.
- More Energy: Good nutrition, enough rest and physical activity increase the body’s overall health and energy levels. One feels active, light and less lethargic as there are fewer pains, aches and higher energy levels. Diseases like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, etc. are also kept at bay.
- Save Money: A healthy lifestyle is much cheaper than an unhealthy one in the long run as one spends less on unhealthy foods and drinks and also prevents diseases caused by the same. This translates into fewer expenses on medicines and treatments for physical and emotional health issues like obesity, depression, eating disorders and so on.
- Good For The Environment: An intrinsic part of a healthy lifestyle is making good food choices i.e. opting for organic and unprocessed foods. Eating unprocessed foods reduces greenhouse gas emissions, increases biodiversity, reduces water scarcity and prevents deforestation.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
organize an array of after-school activities for promoting healthy lifestyle among kids in Killeen, TX. To know more about need for healthy lifestyle choices, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX - 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.
Nutrition, physical activity, less screen time and good sleep are the pillars of a healthy lifestyle. Implementing each of these in the daily life of children can bring about a positive shift in their academic performance. As per a study published in “International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health”, (Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17(1), 243), a direct link has been established between lifestyle changes and an upward trend in cognitive control and academic performance in high school students.
Let us further elaborate this by looking at the ways in which a healthy lifestyle impacts the academic performance of kids:
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas offer a variety of programs to help kids in maintain a healthy lifestyle. The programs organized by the clubs include ‘ALL STARS’, ‘Passport to Manhood’, ‘SMART Girls’, ‘SMART Moves’, etc. The activities help kids in understanding the importance of a healthy lifestyle and improving physical activity. To know more about impacts of healthy lifestyle on academic performance of kids, visit 703 N. 8th Street, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also call at (254) 699 – 5808.
- Brain Function: The brains of children who eat a balanced diet comprising of all essential nutrients are likely to perform to a higher capacity. Deficiencies in iron, zinc, vitamin B, C, A, calcium, folate, iodine and other vitamins or minerals lead to lower dopamine transmission in kids, impaired mental concentration and inhibited cognitive capabilities.
- Behavior: Children with a healthy lifestyle are willing to learn and have higher attendance at school. Malnutrition, high sugar consumption, junk food and other poor habits breed behavior problems in kids that affect their willingness to go to school and learn. For kids to exhibit their best behavior they should sleep on time, be physically active, and eat required amounts of protein, fat, complex carbohydrates and fiber.
- Physical Activity: Children who are physically active at school and at home have higher chances of performing well in academics as compared to their peers with sluggish lifestyles. Active students usually have better memory and concentration, lower dropout rates and less disciplinary issues, which result in better academic performance.
- Sleep: Consistent sound sleep is critical to a child’s academic performance. Sleep disturbances and inconsistencies affect student’s mood and well-being. Students thrive academically when their brains are well rested; they have better concentration, more retention/grasping power and higher energy levels throughout the day.
- Screen Time: Limited screen time is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle these days; its benefits are better sleep, lower BMI and less aggression. These benefits are directly linked to better academic performance and completion of homework. As per the latest recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), screen time of children aged 2 to 5 years should be limited to one hour per day and consistent limits should be set for older kids (6 and up).