Math is one of the most challenging subjects in school and as a parent, it is your responsibility to ensure that your child becomes competent in math, which is required to opt the career oriented, advanced high school courses. Whether your child is 8 or 18, it is essential that he or she should have good mathematical skills, as it helps the child explore better future opportunities in school and select suitable career.
Here are some tips that can help your child master math skills.
- Make their mathematical concepts clear: Ensure your children understand the basic mathematical concepts and their fundamentals are clear. The children should not consider math as a boring subject and you should make it interesting and fun for them.
- Make them learn and practice the basic facts: To help your children master math skills, it is crucial that you make your children understand the facts and practice them. Help them solve the mathematical problems and learn the basic facts.
- Help your children when they need help: Math is a subject that requires consistent practice along with deep understanding. If the teacher of your child is not able to explain the concept, then you must help the child or hire a tutor to help him. Sit with the child and motivate him to solve the problem.
- Motivate the child to do more than assigned: Usually children do as much work as assigned and avoid doing regular practice. Motivate your children to do extra practice to hone their math skills. By doing related problems, they can strengthen their skills and gain more confidence.
- Make sure your child does the math homework: The purpose of assigning homework is to reinforce the skills that children learn in their class. Teach them to refer to their textbook or reference books to solve the math problems.
- Encourage the child to play mathematical games: The best way to learn a new concept is through games. Motivate them to solve puzzles and play mathematical games that exercise their brain.
- Help them do mental math: Mental math is an interesting way to do calculations. Teach them to do calculations in their mind without using pen and paper while discouraging the use of calculators. Ask them to solve the problems in their mind and this will help them make mental math a part of their routine life.
These tips will help you inculcate strong math skills in your child.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize ‘Power Hour’ for kids between 6-16 years of age. This program aims at providing them tutoring classes. For more details, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call at (254) 699-5808.
If you are a parent of a teenager, your first concern is helping him/her make better career choices. Choosing a career is one of the major decisions of life that influences the future of your child. As a parent, you can play quite a constructive role in your child’s life. You should act like a mentor, a guide and a counselor rather than imposing your decisions or choices on your child and you should help him take positive decisions. Often without proper guidance, children choose wrong majors or keep on changing their majors which leads to wastage of time, money and credits. Here are certain things that you can do to help your child take right step at the right time.
- Try to know the interests of your child: As a parent, you are closest to your child and you know him better than anybody else does. You should communicate with your child and try to know what his interest is so that you can guide him appropriately.
- Consult a career counselor: You can take your child to an experienced career counselor who will let you know about the aptitude and abilities of your child. The counselor will suggest you what career options you should choose for your child. Once you get the direction, you can encourage your children to follow the path.
- Encourage volunteer work and part time jobs: You should always encourage your child to participate in volunteer work in the organization or in community, extracurricular activities organized by the school or college and part time jobs. With more exposure to different works and work environments, your child will be able to decide what he wants to do in life.
- Explore different opportunities and make your child aware: You can always get mentoring support for your child. You should try to explore different opportunities and always remember that you should not pressurize your child to choose any career option of your interest. The interest and capabilities of your child are the major factors in deciding their career. Put your child in situations where he gets motivated and guidance from an experienced family friend, community member, teacher or a counsel greatly helps.
- Subscribe to some online career magazine: It is a good idea to subscribe to some online career magazine, which will provide you details of various career options and the eligibility conditions required to take up the career. Such magazines are often resourceful and provide details about colleges and universities that offer particular courses, entrance exams or conditions and other information.
- Research online: Encourage your child to do online research on various occupations available, career options, their typical duties, training and responsibilities, pay scales and the present opportunities in the field. This research will help them decide a career and choose their majors accordingly.
- Encourage your child to attend career events: Often schools and other local education organizations organize career events such as seminars and workshops to make youngsters aware of the opportunities available. Encourage your child to actively participate in these events and ask queries.
To help your child in choosing a career, you can also motivate him to join a kids club where he is exposed to the right environment as they have the facilities to guide the children in making right career moves.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize CareerLaunch program to help kids assess their skills and explore various career options available. To enroll your kids, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Boys and Girls Club Texas offers a plethora of activities and programs for kids and teenagers. These programs aim to make them physically, emotionally, mentally, and socially sound, so that they can face thereal-life challenges and situations with ease.
We organize a variety of programs wherein young kids can harness their creative and imaginative talents; nurture their health and physical fitness; and hone their educational and practical skills and become employable in the future.
Among all these kids’ activities, CareerLaunch is a particular program that targets children falling in the age bracket of 13 to 18 years. Read on to know more about this program and what all it entails.
- CareerLaunch is a career-centric program in the club where members explore their skill sets and areas of interest and how they map to various careers and jobs available in the market outside.
- The idea is to equip them with adequate knowledge so that they do not falter while making career choices. A thorough beforehand knowledge will make them aware about the pros and cons of a particular career decision. Working in a field that is also your area of interest is always beneficial in the long run.
- As part of this program, a booklet named “CareerLaunch Teen Tips” is offered. It contains practical advice pertaining to job hunting in the practical real world scenario. The booklet is very handy and can be easily carried in a pocket as and when required.
- The CareerLaunch Teen Tips booklet comes with an attractive portfolio. Here, one can store a variety of job hunting related documents such as resumes and job applications. Thus, it proves to be a very useful aid when it comes to searching for that right job.
- The program is also associated with a dedicated CareerLaunch website. It contains online information about various colleges and jobs. A number of interactive activities for kids are also available here.
- As part of this initiative by Boys and Girls Club Texas, our staff and volunteers can work individually with teens, or in small groups, as convenient. The Career Exploration Quick Reference Guide can be used as a starting point for all such activities.
So if you are looking to find where your aptitude lies, and want to become job ready, CareerLaunch is the place to start. You can visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
As a parent, you would want nothing but the best when it comes to your child. Early years in life lay the foundation for a kid’s wholesome cognitive and mental development. With precisely this in mind, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas offers a range of activities that play a key role in strengthening the mental prowess and thinking ability of a kid.
So enrolling your little ones in various kids activities here will prove to be a very fruitful decision. Read on to know more about the various activities organized at our club and how they are conducted.
- Leisure Reading: This activity helps to broaden a kid’s perspective on the various things in the world around him/her. It also increases the ability to assimilate knowledge and brings clarity of thought and expression. Kids learn even better when there are visuals to go with the text; graphics basically augment the learning process.
- Writing Activities: Writing is another activity offered by the club. It goes a long way in improving the child’s ability to express thoughts in a vivid and precise manner. Writing also helps to enhance the vocabulary of a child and he or she learns how to use different words in particular situations. Overall, the writing activities organized here prove to be a great learning curve for the young and creative minds.
- Discussions with Adults: Adults are people that kids always look up to for advice and guidance. So at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, the young members are motivated to have stimulating and intellect-stimulating discussions with adults who have great knowledge pertaining to various issues. This is a great exercise to improve the mental and spoken English capabilities of young children.
- Games: “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. To ensure that Jack does not become dull, our kids club also offers games such as Scrabble and others, which make the learning process fun. Kids really enjoy this part and learn a lot as well.
Other than the above mentioned activities, Boys & Girls Club Texas is also involved in spheres like homework guidance and tutoring. Our club is open all year round for boys and girls of the ages 6 to 18 years of age. For more details, contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. Our telephone number is: 254-699-5808.
Self-confidence is imperative for mental health as well as social well-being of child. With lack of confidence, a child can get affected by behavioral problems. This makes it important to adopt a number of things and engage kid in different kids activities that will help in developing self-belief. Read on to know more about the same…
- The first and the foremost important thing is to improve your own self-confidence as a parent. If your personality reflects lower self-esteem, it will probably reflect on your child too.
- Your child will always look up to you to see how you perceive him. If you hold negative images of your child or show him that his opinions do not matter to you at all; it can lead to depreciation in his self-confidence. Therefore, you need to have a positive reflection of your child and make him realize this fact to boost his confidence.
- It is important to engage your kid in various confidence building activities that take place at Boys and Girls Clubs in Texas.
- Play with your child often as this will make him feel how valuable he is to you. Children learn a lot through the medium of playing. You can improve his self-confidence by giving him feelings of importance and achievement.
- As unimportant as it may seem, it is very beneficial if you address your child by his name. It not only bolsters a child’s self-confidence by making him feel valuable but also opens many other channels of communication with him.
- Always make sure that you encourage your child in every activity he is good at. When a child possesses a certain talent and he does well in it; there is an automatic rise in his self-confidence. Therefore, you must always try to recognize the fields in which your child in interested and give him confidence to carry his talents even further with more practice. But remember that you must create a perfect balance between pushing and protecting.
- Never compare your child to any other kid as this can crush his self-confidence. Make him realize that he is a unique individual who is special in a number of ways. Don’t have unrealistic expectations from your child as he will not be able to excel in everything that he does. Praise him whenever he does well in his field of expertise. This will further add to his confidence.
- Always be aware of the kind of friends your child has in school or at the kids’ club. This is very important because if your child is in a bad company, it can do a lot of harm to his self-confidence. Tell him how to ignore children who try to bully him and make his confidence see new heights.
Problem solving skills are amongst the most important life skills that we can give our kids. This is one skill that is as important through childhood, as it is in adulthood. No wonder, this skill is being included in kids activities in Texas. Problem solving is a wide-reaching term, that spans a gamut of problems, right from academic difficulties at school, to problems in interpersonal relationships, and everything in between. It makes children confident and responsible, and capable of making positive decisions for themselves.
The following guidelines tell you how you can effectively teach your kids problem solving skills and make the world-ready-
- The first step to problem solving is being able to identify the problem. Encourage your child to put his feelings into words and describe what is bothering him. When kids are able to clearly express themselves, it makes it easy for them to identify exactly what is wrong, and work towards solving it.
- The next step to effectively solving a problem is coming up with a list of possible options to solve the problem. For instance, if the kid is being bullied at school, one approach could be to calmly confront the bully and ask them to stop, the second could be to talk to a teacher about it, the third could be to miss school for a few days hoping the problem will subside, etc. Encourage your child to come up with as many options as he can without judging.
- Once the child knows what the problem he is dealing with is, and what the possible solutions are, you can now sit with him and discuss the pros and cons of each option. At this stage, it is important not to be pushy, but instead to step back and let your child decide for himself with option he wants to go by.
- Do not pressurize your child to make the right choice, but instead encourage them to do what they feel is correct, and let them know that it is okay if it does not work out-they can always try another option.
- Child care experts in Texas suggest allowing children to bear natural consequences of their decisions. While this does definitely not mean compromising on your child’s safety, it means letting them experience some negative consequences of their choices, without being too protective.
We, at Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas, focus on the overall development of your child. To enroll your child in our various programs, please contact Ms. Carol Dunn at 254-699-5808.
Children can imbibe every habit from their surroundings effortlessly. Therefore, it is important to inculcate the habit of reading in them right from the start, so that they can carry it with them for a lifetime. If your child is engaged in some kids club or group, then you must make sure that he is learning to read there as well.
At home, you can do a lot of things that will help in developing reading habit in your children. Read on to know…
- Read aloud to your children different books that they are interested in. They will not only listen carefully to what you are speaking, but will also try to take interest in reading from the book.
- Limit television viewing to bare minimum so that your children get more inclined towards reading rather than sitting in front of the TV whole day. Involve them in various Kids Activities while giving importance to reading and they will surely get attracted towards it.
- Take along your kids for a visit to a museum, a park or even a zoo etc. When they will acquire more and more knowledge about different things, it will make them wonderful readers as well.
- Communication is one of the most important aspects in a child-parent relationship. Make sure you have a hearty conversation with your child on any topic. It could be something as trivial as his favorite pet or best friend. Talking a lot will increase his vocabulary and also churn his thinking wheels. This inquisitiveness will make him a pro at reading.
- Ask questions to your children wherein they can describe things completely on their own. Even if they are saying a wrong sentence, do not interrupt. When children narrate incidents they learn to create meanings and this is an imperative aspect of understanding what they read.
- Whatever you do, your children are bound to follow your actions. This is the same when it comes to reading. You must read in front of your children so that they can actually see you enjoying this activity. This way they will consider reading as a fun activity and start doing the same on their own.
- Whenever you read out stories to your children, make sure you discuss it with them later on. Ask them to identify letters and words while explaining their meaning. Exchange your views and have a healthy discussion.
- Teaching your child how to properly handle the books is as important as teaching them how to read. Make your child sit with you and make him turn the pages of the book that you are reading. This will make him handle the books carefully with lots of love.
We at the Boys and Girls Club of Central Texas organize year-round kids activities and a variety of grouped and individual recreational, educational and social programs for kids. You can contact us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call us at 254-699-5808 Ext: 102.
Kid clubs are a great way to provide physical as well as psychological benefits to your younger ones. Children need to do something worthwhile once they come back from school. Engaging them in a meaningful activity will not only keep them involved but also enhance their personality. There are many wonderful options providing kids activities in Texas and kids clubs is surely one of the most popular one.
Following are listed some of the psychological benefits offered by kids clubs.
- Kids clubs help in building team spirit in the kids. When children work in groups towards a common goal; it helps them learn how to work in a team. This is very beneficial for the future and comes in very handy in the job arena.
- Allow your child to choose the kids club that he wants to join. Going in for an activity that he loves doing will make your kid excel in the club activities. Also, he will feel a sense of ownership and belonging in the club and that is a very positive aspect. This will make him want to come back for more fun on a daily basis.
- Kids clubs also instill a lot of personal as well as social skills in children. They learn to respect each other’s opinions and also become responsible individuals. If a group has children of mixed ages, the tutors can make the elder ones become good role models for the younger lot. Positive behavior shown by the older children definitely inspires the younger ones and they imbibe the good qualities.
- Children who are involved in some fruitful activity at a kids club will not go astray. They will not remain idle and therefore not think of indulging in any sort of criminal behavior. Find good kids club in Texas and you will definitely see how your child’s overall personality gets evolved in a positive manner.
- When a child works in a group in the activities of kids clubs, he makes strong bonds with new people. Sometimes these friendships can turn into lifelong relationships that they will always cherish. The tutors at various kids clubs can encourage students to talk and express themselves amongst other children, so that they develop good friendships and become socially active.
All in all, kids clubs have a whole lot of psychological benefits for the kids. Enrolling your child in one of these clubs will definitely add to his memorable experiences and also make him a better individual.
It is imperative to keep the kids involved in something productive and worthwhile so that they don’t go astray. As a parent or a teacher, it is important that you keep experimenting and each time find something innovative for the kids to do. Outdoor activities are a great way to develop the physical, mental and emotional health of the kids. Read on to know some of the great ideas for outdoor activities that can engage your kids in having a great time.
- Nature has a whole lot of things to teach to the kids. Therefore, you must make your kids explore the nature whenever possible. Go for a hike or camping where you can play different kinds of games. Engage your kids in outdoor cooking as well and see how much fun they will have.
- Going out for fishing is another great activity that your kids will just love. Remember to give them safety tips beforehand. This will educate them about handling the situation whenever they are near a water body. Practical experience of fishing will help them learn how it is actually done and the kids will definitely enjoy it.
- Introduce your kid to lesser know outdoor sports such as archery or canoeing. Engage them for coaching in these games to develop their various skills.
- Bird watching is another very interesting activity and the kids will have a chance of viewing something different. Teach your kids how they can attract birds to their homes by providing the correct environment as well as birdfeed.
- Children can also be engaged in gardening so you can develop their interest by setting up a small garden. You will enjoy seeing them get happy and feel joyous when they see the vegetables and fruits grow. Assist them in gardening and it will be a great outdoor activity for your kids.
- Kite flying is another great option to indulge the kids in. You can help them in making the kites by themselves and fly them high.
There is a lot that can be done if you carefully think and plan some outdoor kids activities. Child experts recommend that it is necessary for the kids to go outdoors and not just keep on sitting inside the homes watching TV and playing on the computer.
- Outdoor activities provide the following benefits:
- Outdoor activity helps the children remain fully active and also boosts up their mental health.
- When kids play outdoors, they get a chance to develop new friendships which helps in social development as well.
- Emotional development is also encouraged with outdoor activities as children learn to take risks and also develop independence.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas offer various outdoorl activities for your kids. To enroll your kid in any of these programs, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.
Creative activities help children develop their overall personality. These help children develop imagination, problem solving abilities and logic as well. It is imperative expose them to such activities at an early stage so that it helps them in the longer run. Read on to know how you can develop creativity in your kids…
- The creativity of a child comes out extremely well when he is given the right kind of environment. Involve him in kids activities like gardening, exploring parks and museums. Make him give inputs in art projects, read books and listen to music etc.
- Do not always put the pressure of time on your kids. Give them space as well as ample time to develop their creative juices.
- Children are always very inquisitive by nature and love to ask questions from their parents or other elders around them. But parents must make sure that they do not get irritated when they are questioned regarding anything. Discouraging children from asking questions can block their creative expression and hinder the imagination process.
- Introduce creative use of different items to your child to give a kick to his imagination power. For example, a hat can become a basket or a flower pot and so on. Let your child use his own mind to find something new in everything he sees.
- You must try and ask your children different types of open-ended questions to improve their level of understanding. For example, an imaginative question could include: What would happen if birds start talking like humans? Or you could ask them something which would make them give ideas for improvement of something. An example could be: How can you make your room neat and clean?
- Another important aspect of developing creativity in children is to play with them. You can encourage them to enact different characters such as an animal and also use props to make the whole thing more exciting.
- Children do love to play in mud and get dirty or build sand cast. In the process, they soil their clothes and create a complete mess. But do not discourage them from indulging in a mess. These types of games are equally important as children learn many new things. You must in fact tell them to clean themselves up later on after they are done playing.
- Whenever you tell a story to your kid take inputs from your child. This will help your kid use his imagination and bring out the creativity in him. Although most of the things he will say will be silly, you must let him carry on and not interrupt.
For more information, visit us at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas We conduct various program emphasizes on good nutrition, physical activities and overall well being. To register your kid, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.