If you are a parent of a teenager, your first concern is helping him/her make better career choices. Choosing a career is one of the major decisions of life that influences the future of your child. As a parent, you can play quite a constructive role in your child’s life. You should act like a mentor, a guide and a counselor rather than imposing your decisions or choices on your child and you should help him take positive decisions. Often without proper guidance, children choose wrong majors or keep on changing their majors which leads to wastage of time, money and credits. Here are certain things that you can do to help your child take right step at the right time.
- Try to know the interests of your child: As a parent, you are closest to your child and you know him better than anybody else does. You should communicate with your child and try to know what his interest is so that you can guide him appropriately.
- Consult a career counselor: You can take your child to an experienced career counselor who will let you know about the aptitude and abilities of your child. The counselor will suggest you what career options you should choose for your child. Once you get the direction, you can encourage your children to follow the path.
- Encourage volunteer work and part time jobs: You should always encourage your child to participate in volunteer work in the organization or in community, extracurricular activities organized by the school or college and part time jobs. With more exposure to different works and work environments, your child will be able to decide what he wants to do in life.
- Explore different opportunities and make your child aware: You can always get mentoring support for your child. You should try to explore different opportunities and always remember that you should not pressurize your child to choose any career option of your interest. The interest and capabilities of your child are the major factors in deciding their career. Put your child in situations where he gets motivated and guidance from an experienced family friend, community member, teacher or a counsel greatly helps.
- Subscribe to some online career magazine: It is a good idea to subscribe to some online career magazine, which will provide you details of various career options and the eligibility conditions required to take up the career. Such magazines are often resourceful and provide details about colleges and universities that offer particular courses, entrance exams or conditions and other information.
- Research online: Encourage your child to do online research on various occupations available, career options, their typical duties, training and responsibilities, pay scales and the present opportunities in the field. This research will help them decide a career and choose their majors accordingly.
- Encourage your child to attend career events: Often schools and other local education organizations organize career events such as seminars and workshops to make youngsters aware of the opportunities available. Encourage your child to actively participate in these events and ask queries.
To help your child in choosing a career, you can also motivate him to join a kids club where he is exposed to the right environment as they have the facilities to guide the children in making right career moves.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs Of Central Texas organize CareerLaunch program to help kids assess their skills and explore various career options available. To enroll your kids, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.