The importance of money and developing good practices regarding the use of money is extremely important in life. From a very young age, parents should take the initiative to instill in their children the notion of money, its worth in life and the various good practices that will enable them to manage money smartly once they reach an age where they would be expected to. Young children need careful guidance to fully comprehend the hard work that goes into earning money and to understand why it is important to manage expenditures, and learn to save. As parents, it is a duty to teach your children smart money management and to encourage good habits from an impressionable age.
Following the tips below will help you when you’re trying to teach your kids how to manage money smartly.
- First up, it is important to remember that as parents, your behavior and your practices are seen to be exemplary by your children. Therefore, know that your children are always watching how you handle money and make sure that you set good examples for them to follow.
- To encourage good spending and saving habits, set a reasonable allowance amount for your child. You can raise the allowance slightly each year, while encouraging your children to plan their own purchases while staying within the restrictions of the allowance amount. Tell them that if they need to buy something which exceeds the allowance, they need to save and eventually make the purchase later.
- Make sure that your children help out with family chores. Correct their mistakes with constructive criticism and encourage good habits. Occasionally, you can choose to make extra income opportunities available by offering a reward for performing particular chores.
- It is extremely important to teach your kids to save money from a very young age. Educate them about good saving habits and arrange for a place where they can save their money. Monitor the savings activity and regularly advise your children regarding good saving habits.
- Children need to grow up and become wise consumers. Therefore, if they want to purchase something, ask them to think about it and consider other alternatives before making the final purchase. Teach them how to distinguish products based on the quality and help them develop a smart, non-gullible attitude towards advertisements and promotions.
It is well-known that children are very different from adults when it comes to thinking, behavioral patterns and the ability to manage stress. Since childhood is an impressionable age, things which adults consider to be insignificant or inconsequential might be enough to trigger a stress reaction in children. In most cases, it has been found that young children do not possess the ability to identify or express their feelings when they are feeling stressed. Therefore, it is the duty of the parents and teachers in school to keep their eyes and ears open and detect signs of stress in children. Some tell-tale signs are arguments, problems with sleeping, clinginess, refusal to attend school, headaches and abrupt changes in behavior.
When you see any of these symptoms in children, it is reasonable to conclude that your child is under stress and it is up to you to help them cope with it effectively. The following tips can come in handy while helping kids cope with stress –
- Make sure that you encourage your children to speak their mind. Children often have trouble communicating and find it difficult to put their thoughts in words. If you see any sign of stress, ask them if they feel scared, worried or nervous about something. If the answer is positive, ask them the reasons behind that feeling.
- When your child communicates with you and makes you aware of their stress, make sure that you acknowledge the communication in a positive manner and encourage further communication whenever the need arises. Try to create a positive interpretation of the situation which is causing the stress so as to make things seem less serious.
- Educate your children regarding various known stress management techniques. These can include techniques like breathing exercises, positive and encouraging statements, and visualizing of situations.
- Ensure that your kids are getting enough time and space to relax. Adequate sleep and a proper bedtime routine are extremely important for the mental relaxation of children. Include habits like listening to soothing music and storytelling sessions in their routine.
- Spend quality time with your children. It has been seen that time spent with parents and teachers contribute significantly to the mental well-being of children. Selecting activities in which you can participate with your children can help them get rid of stress, have a fun period of bonding and relax. Enrolling your child in a kids club can also be a great way to ensure that your child gets to spend time with children in the same peer group and gets to unwind and relax.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, organize many activities for the overall development of kids in Texas. To enroll, contact us at (254) 699 - 5808.
Art is a way of life for a lot of people, and it is capable of teaching us many things that even formal education fails to do. While, it is in no way, a substitute for academics, a teenager can definitely find peace and solace in art and learn from it on his own terms and develop a new skill. Art aids a child with his learning process and provides him with an outlet for his creativity. Art gives the child a blank canvas to express himself fully.
Art can be of several types and it is important to let the kid choose his own path. Drawing and painting are probably the most widely accepted definition of 'arts' but there are actually a lot more. If your child likes music, you should encourage him to explore his talents with a particular instrument. If theater is where his interests are vested then he should be encouraged to act and perform. Sculpting and even photography are forms of art and are perfect examples of productive kid’s activities that help them be creative and productive.
Children in the 6-18 years age group face an entirely different set of problems compared to adults and you as a parent should understand that their coping mechanisms have to be adjusted to their age. If they are happy and content with their lives they can focus on concentrating on the formal sources of learning in their lives such as education in school and other activities. Through arts, a child can learn about the importance of discipline, patience and how to grow a skill from basics. They get the motivation to reach the goal if the art is of their choice and learn to express themselves through a new medium.
Art also has the ability to open up anyone's mind and therefore is good for the brain development as well. But finding the right artistic part is just the first step. Encouraging them to fully exploit their talent and stay motivated is the key to making their dreams a reality.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas can help your child find a gateway through arts, that opens to a world of new possibilities, and will play an instrumental role in shaping up a more balanced personality ready to carve a better future for itself, tomorrow. Call us at (254) 699-5808 to know more.
For any kid, the early years of life are very important. These help in laying the foundation for building up a strong mind and body. For holistic development of a child, it is important to expand learning beyond the four walls of a classroom. With this in mind, we at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, provide a range of fun outdoor activities that sharpen the intellect as well as help in building up physical strength of the kids. Read on to know more about these activities and how they are conducted.
- We offer youth football for children aged between 7 to 12 years. Presently, there are a total of three leagues that offer football. The specifications of each are:
- The NCAA League: This league is offered to boys who are aged between 7 and 8, and weigh 60-100 lbs. It is also offered for 9 year olds who weigh anywhere between 60-74 lbs.
- The AFC League: This is offered in three categories; 9 year old boys who weigh between 75 to 120 lbs, 10 year olds who weigh between 70 to 110 lbs, and 11 year olds who weigh between 75 to 89 lbs.
- The NFC League: This is meant for boys who fall in the age group of 11 to 12 years and weigh between 90 to 140 lbs.
- Basketball is another game that we offer at our kids club. As with football, this game is also offered in 3 different leagues, each having its own set of age requirements.
- Cheerleading is another very popular activity that we offer for athletic and track events. These activities let kids build up stamina and endurance, as well as hone their coordination abilities. Such activities also go a long way in sharpening the reflexes of a child.
Sports activities are important from a very early stage. These become all the more important when your child has vacations and you fear that he or she may turn into a couch potato. With our comprehensive range of fun outdoor activities as those mentioned above, your child is guaranteed to have an enjoyable time, and get that all important physical workout as well.
For enrollment, you can get in touch with us today by calling at (254) 699-5808 Ext: 102.
Drama or theatre is a creative field that lets kids explore their hidden potential and talents. It makes them grow and lets them be a star, firstly in their own mind and then in front of an audience. Drama supports them and makes them more than capable to deal with the most basic activities at school like giving a report in front of the class. It builds up self-confidence and makes a child develop into a strong, smart and confident human being.
Drama or theatre is usually taken up as an after school activity and introduced to the kids as a fun and challenging thing to do and learn. It is a sport or a game for them and not a class, which makes it more beneficial. Some amazing benefits of letting your kid join drama activities are: -
- Confidence – It takes not more than a few weeks for even the shyest kid to gain confidence to get on the stage and perform with excellence. Also it brings out the smartness and amplifies the attitude of outgoing and extrovert kids.
- Concentration – It helps them focus on their strengths and concentrate on how to perform better. Also it teaches kids to listen to other’s ideas and thoughts.
- Language And Communication Skills – Learning new songs, lines, and pretend play - all cultivate communication skills in a child. Kids are encouraged to express themselves verbally, through facial expressions as well as body language, which is key to making them better and more effective communicators.
- Cooperation – This activity helps the kids to co-operate and it makes them realize that performance’s core essential is co-operation. Singing, performing together, learning to play together, all are possible with co-operation only.
- Emotional Strengths – Drama activities assist kids in developing both their emotional compassion and physical strength. Playing emotions as required by theatre help kids develop empathy and express their emotions more freely in other aspects of life as well.
Parents should encourage kids to perform better but not pressurize them to outdo their best. They are kids and they are exploring drama as any other after-school activity and as a parent, you should support them in figuring out how they can utilize the things learned in their drama classes in their life and not ask them to deliver an Oscar performance.
Like most conversations with teenage kids, talking to your teenager about drinking can be awkward, and your child might want to avoid the conversation with you. However, it is important to talk to your kid about the dangers of drinking, and be ready to answer any questions regarding alcohol that they might have. Talking to your child about the dangers of alcohol when they are still young can help to equip them better to resist peer pressure when the time comes. Here are a few tips that can help you to protect your child from alcohol abuse:
- Enrolling your child in an after-school program that offers anti-alcohol kids activities is a good idea. The message is more likely to hit home in an environment where the kid is surrounded by his peers.
- It is important to establish open communication with your child, to ensure that he is comfortable talking with you about alcohol and other tabooed subjects. This can be accomplished by developing a loving atmosphere at home, devoid of harshness and criticism.
- While trying to reach out to your child, it is important to ensure that you respect his privacy and boundaries, and set realistic expectations from him. Your child should know that you care, but should not develop a rebellious attitude against you.
- Spending one-on-one time with your teen, doing things that they love to do, such as going on a walk, riding a bike, swimming, baking cookies, watching a movie, etc., can help to foster a close tie with your child, and let them know that they are important to you.
- If you leave your child at a child care center, ask them if they offer any specific programs that deal with the dangers of alcohol, and enroll your child in such a program. You can find information on such centers across Texas that would be suitable for you.
- It is natural for teenagers to feel that they are old enough to consume alcohol and drugs. You need to help them understand the definition of maturity, and let them know what age you feel is right for consuming alcohol. Encouraging your child to have a career goal and big expectations from their life can help to deter them from indulging in the consumption of alcohol.
Children absolutely love music, making music one of the best vehicles to aid in early childhood development. We at the Boys And Girls Club Central Texas, a leading child care and kids activities center, make use of this valuable tool in many of our programs, to help take musical learning to the next level for our young members. Research has continually shown that music has a positive effect on children, on different levels, ranging from reading and quantitative skills to their social, physical, and creative abilities. We help the children at our club to draw the maximum benefits from music, by incorporating it into our set of activities.
We are constantly exploring the different ways in which music education can be incorporated into our after-school curriculum, by creating countless kids activities centered around music, and helping children to find exciting new ways to enjoy music. The young children at our club benefit immensely from singing songs and reciting poems. This helps to improve their literacy skills, as they build connections to the familiar words in the songs, which results in the firing away of neural transmitters in their brain.
Children who develop an inclination towards music at an early stage also have higher self-esteem, self-confidence, and curiosity. The ability of music to address multiple needs of children can be attributed to it being nonjudgmental. Music also encourages children to listen with concentration, which has a highly positive effect on their learning ability. The varying pitches of music help in boosting the auditory development in the brain.
The benefits of music can also be seen for older children, in whom music stimulates brain connections, hence training the brain for advanced forms of thinking. The exposure of children to the complex multi-sensory stimulation involved in musical activities like keyboard lessons and group singing helps in developing their spatial reasoning, which is an important skill that they use later in math, science, and engineering.
In addition to the several positive effects that music has on the mental development of children, it also boosts their physical development by making it easy for them to move from one activity to another. Children who are exposed to music from an early stage develop motor coordination and rhythmic movements, which help to keep them active, and develop in them a sense of direction.
Agree or not, years seem to strike at warp speed when you have kids at home. 7 month olds become 7 year olds in a blink of an eye, and thus begins the real challenge. Video gaming and other technology driven activities become their norm, making it a dare for parents to intensify their interest in physical activities. Then again, another challenge for parents comes up while deciding the appropriate activity for their kids to participate in.
We, at Boys and Girls Club Texas understand the essence of decision-making and provide you with a range of indoor and outdoor activities to choose from. Some of the sport activities offered by us include youth football, cheerleading and youth basketball. However, when it comes to group activities there is something about cheerleading which never seems to grow old.
So, let’s take a look at some of the benefits associated with this sport and find out what makes it a popular kids’ activity in Texas:
- Physical exercise: Many of you are not aware of the fact that cheerleading is one of the most popular forms of physical exercises as it requires kids to perform dancing, stretching, stomp and various other gymnastic stunts. All these cheerleading routines and workouts not only help children build stronger muscles and bones but also help them maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Coordination: Cheerleading is a sport which requires an equal participation of mind and body. In order to complement the steps, the mind and body of a cheerleader need to be constantly tuned with other teammates’. This form of mental and physical exercise helps them improve their body movement and encourage body and mind coordination.
- Confidence and Self-Esteem: Involving kids in cheerleading programs is an effective way to build their confidence and self-esteem. As they become more contented in their own skin, their confidence and self-esteem get improved.
- Teamwork: The most obvious advantage associated with this sport is that children learn the value of teamwork which in turn fosters good relation among them. Furthermore, it also teaches cheerleaders the importance of sportsmanship and trust.
Our Boys and Girls Club Texas organizes cheerleading programs for youth between 7 – 12 years. For more information, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also call us 254-699-5808.
The Boys And Girls Club of Central Texas is a kids and youth center dedicated to providing high-quality child care and enriching activities centered towards the overall development of its members. We have been serving the Central Texas area for over a decade, and have gained a reputation as one of the premier youth centers in the region, organizing year-round creative and innovative activities, catering to the diverse interests and age groups of our club members.
Along with a wide range of kids activities and child care programs, we also provide several sports events for kids up to 18 years of age, including football, basketball, and track. Here is an overview of the kids activities organized at our club:
- Character and leadership activities such as Youth of the Year, Torch Clubs, Keystone Clubs, and Goals for Growth. These activities encourage kids to contribute to their communities and families, and focus on building the moral character, life goals, and public poise and presentation.
- Education and career programs, which include Project Learn, Goals for Graduation, Power Hour, CareerLaunch, Junior Staff Career Development, Skill Tech, Skill Tech II, and Money Matters: Make It Count. The key focus of these programs is to encourage the kids to spend their non-school hours in fun, yet academically-beneficial activities. Children are taught academic goal-setting skills, provided with after-school tutoring, and assisted in making the right educational decisions.
- Health and Life Skills activities, including Cavity-Free Zone, SMART Moves, SMART Girls, SMART Leaders, Passport To Manhood, and Healthy Habits. These programs aim at making the kids ready for life, by building their physical, mental, and emotional strength.
- The Arts Program, which comprises of activities like the National Fine Arts Exhibit Program, ImageMakers National Photography Contest, Summer Music Camp for Teens, and Digital Arts Suite and Festivals. These activities are ideal for children with an artistic streak, and help to nurture the talent of these gifted kids, giving them the right platform to explore their potential.
- Sports Fitness and Recreations program, in which kids can participate in various sports activities such as the Youth Football League, Youth Basketball League, and Cheerleading. We take pride in our organized sports leagues and aim at giving kids the right environment to build their expertise in a sport of their interest.
To learn more about any of the above activities, or to register your child as a member of Boys And Girls Club of Central Texas, contact us today at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.