There are great benefits to be had from targeted and organized after school activities for kids. Boys And Girls Clubs of Central Texas offers games like football for youth, which not only allows for physical and mental well being of children, but also gives them a great place to socialize and makes it easier to get to know each other. The benefits of youth football are numerous and can be extremely beneficial for children during their childhood and also at later times. It is necessary for parents to know and fully appreciate these benefits so that they can make a well informed decision of sending their children for youth football. Here are a few points to consider -
Youth football has a profound positive impact on a child’s health. There has been an alarming increase in the number of children affected by obesity over the last few years. The fact that this has reached epidemic proportions is indeed a cause for concern, as obesity is a breeding ground for a number of afflictions like heart diseases, hypertension, diabetes and arthritis. It is extremely important for children to be in good health. Youth football can be a great place for improving health as children get regular and targeted exercise which improves fitness and stamina and encourages good eating habits. This can protect children from a slew of possible health issues later in life.
Youth football instills a number of important mental attributes in children. For starters, it inspires children to care about others and think about a common goal rather than individual targets. The spirit of teamwork is something which is essential for living a good life, and football is the perfect place to inculcate the true values of teamwork. Children can also learn and imbibe the concepts of sportsman spirit and the notion of leading a disciplined life.
Another great benefit of youth football is that it enables children to form rewarding and lasting relationships. The value of relationships in life cannot be doubted, and youth football is a place where children can interact and spend time regularly with their peers. This encourages the building of friendship and compassion. Also, relationships with mentors and coaches can be a lasting and positive influence for children, driving them to excel in life, giving them the ability to follow instructions and being a source of motivation and self-belief.
For any kid, the early years of life are very important. These help in laying the foundation for building up a strong mind and body. For holistic development of a child, it is important to expand learning beyond the four walls of a classroom. With this in mind, we at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, provide a range of fun outdoor activities that sharpen the intellect as well as help in building up physical strength of the kids. Read on to know more about these activities and how they are conducted.
- We offer youth football for children aged between 7 to 12 years. Presently, there are a total of three leagues that offer football. The specifications of each are:
- The NCAA League: This league is offered to boys who are aged between 7 and 8, and weigh 60-100 lbs. It is also offered for 9 year olds who weigh anywhere between 60-74 lbs.
- The AFC League: This is offered in three categories; 9 year old boys who weigh between 75 to 120 lbs, 10 year olds who weigh between 70 to 110 lbs, and 11 year olds who weigh between 75 to 89 lbs.
- The NFC League: This is meant for boys who fall in the age group of 11 to 12 years and weigh between 90 to 140 lbs.
- Basketball is another game that we offer at our kids club. As with football, this game is also offered in 3 different leagues, each having its own set of age requirements.
- Cheerleading is another very popular activity that we offer for athletic and track events. These activities let kids build up stamina and endurance, as well as hone their coordination abilities. Such activities also go a long way in sharpening the reflexes of a child.
Sports activities are important from a very early stage. These become all the more important when your child has vacations and you fear that he or she may turn into a couch potato. With our comprehensive range of fun outdoor activities as those mentioned above, your child is guaranteed to have an enjoyable time, and get that all important physical workout as well.
For enrollment, you can get in touch with us today by calling at (254) 699-5808 Ext: 102.
Kids of all age groups need to keep themselves occupied with interesting activities, other than playing video games and watching television. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas is renowned for organizing a range of activities for kids of all ages. The activities offered here range from arts, health programs, tutoring to sports events including youth football, basketball and cheerleading.
All these activities serve as a podium to entertain, occupy and explore the potential of kids and help them grow, nurture and develop their talent. Below is a list of some interesting after school activities that parents can consider for their kids:
- Painting – Painting is one of the common after school activities which can be taken up by a child of any age. It is a fun and inspiring activity that instills a passion for creativity in any child.
- Music – Learning how to sing or play a musical instrument is an activity that interests kids immensely. The joy of learning to play a song on an instrument is exhilarating. Moreover, music creates passion and a sense of dedication in children.
- Drama – Drama or theatre is an activity that engages every child. Those who are shy on stage can be a part of the production and management team, while others can pursue acting and performance.
- Sports – Sport and recreational activities like tackle football, volleyball, track, cheerleading helps keep children fit and encourage athletic skills, teamwork and healthy habits.
- Character & Leadership - Every child has a potential to become a good communicator and a leader and this potential needs to be developed. Character & Leadership programs can help inculcate this quality and prepare them to meet the challenges of adulthood and leadership successfully.
Benefits of after-school activities:
- The child learns to communicate better with others and build strong interactive bond. He also learns the importance of team work.
- After school activities like drama, music, sports etc. helps the child to grow physically, mentally and emotionally. Such activities assist the children in developing coordination, focus and make them determined and dedicated.
- Such activities help kids to make new friends and nurture their inborn talent and creativity. These activities also help bring out the best in an individual.
In today’s competitive arena, one has to be a leader right from childhood to match up the ever increasing pace of the world. A good leader generally possesses the following qualities:
- Is liked and respected by most of his/her peers
- Has the ability to influence others
- Figures out what is wrong with an activity and shows others how to do it in a better way
- Is often asked for ideas and suggestions
- Participates in various activities with enthusiasm
Parents can help their kids develop leadership skills in the following ways:
- Source of Inspiration: Children spend most of their quality time with their parents and we all know they learn from imitation, they imitate whatever they see around them. For this reason parents must set a good example for their kids.
- Co-Curricular Activities: Children should participate in extracurricular activities, such as sports, music, martial arts, drama etc. Parents should explore the hidden interest of their kids, they need to find out what else their kids love to do apart from study or what are they good at, by indulging them in such activities you can not only help them learning leadership qualities but can help explore their talent.
- Watch to learn: Kids should be encouraged to watch motivational programs during their fun time, such as talent hunts, subject based programs for example science based, history based etc. However, they should be under surveillance for the list of channels they are watching.
- Compliances: It is the duty of the parents to act as a watchdog while their children choose their friends and compliances. It is important to keep a check on the kind of company your kid is into.
- School’s Environment: Make-up of a leader depends upon the environment where they study; a supportive environment is needed for the same.
We, at Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas help children develop leadership qualities. We organize such programs and activities that can help the little ones shoulder the world such as sports, gaming, discussion, personality development, competitive, group decision making and planning and other such activities. For more informatiion, you can call us at 254-699-5808.
Drama or theatre is a creative field that lets kids explore their hidden potential and talents. It makes them grow and lets them be a star, firstly in their own mind and then in front of an audience. Drama supports them and makes them more than capable to deal with the most basic activities at school like giving a report in front of the class. It builds up self-confidence and makes a child develop into a strong, smart and confident human being.
Drama or theatre is usually taken up as an after school activity and introduced to the kids as a fun and challenging thing to do and learn. It is a sport or a game for them and not a class, which makes it more beneficial. Some amazing benefits of letting your kid join drama activities are: -
- Confidence – It takes not more than a few weeks for even the shyest kid to gain confidence to get on the stage and perform with excellence. Also it brings out the smartness and amplifies the attitude of outgoing and extrovert kids.
- Concentration – It helps them focus on their strengths and concentrate on how to perform better. Also it teaches kids to listen to other’s ideas and thoughts.
- Language And Communication Skills – Learning new songs, lines, and pretend play - all cultivate communication skills in a child. Kids are encouraged to express themselves verbally, through facial expressions as well as body language, which is key to making them better and more effective communicators.
- Cooperation – This activity helps the kids to co-operate and it makes them realize that performance’s core essential is co-operation. Singing, performing together, learning to play together, all are possible with co-operation only.
- Emotional Strengths – Drama activities assist kids in developing both their emotional compassion and physical strength. Playing emotions as required by theatre help kids develop empathy and express their emotions more freely in other aspects of life as well.
Parents should encourage kids to perform better but not pressurize them to outdo their best. They are kids and they are exploring drama as any other after-school activity and as a parent, you should support them in figuring out how they can utilize the things learned in their drama classes in their life and not ask them to deliver an Oscar performance.
Teaching kids to live a healthy and active lifestyle is important for their well-being. But, as any parent knows, it can sometimes be quite a challenge. Forcing kids to participate in activities they don’t enjoy can lead them to rebel and despise the exact principals you are trying to teach them.
Try adding nutrition to fun foods. They will be appetizing and interesting for kids and they might develop a liking for these to make them part of their food habits. Some of these food items can be: -
- Include a rainbow meal. Make meals that are colorful and serve them for lunch or supper. For example, strawberries, blueberries and bell peppers are all different colors and are very tasty to eat. The variety in color and the nutrition value of the fruit and vegetables are a perfect combination
- Instead of soda or cola, give them fruit juices or flavored fat free milk
- Instead of chips or crackers, give them fruit salad or vegetable sticks like carrots
- Instead of cupcakes or cakes, give them sugar free ice pops or flavored frozen yogurts
Focus on planning fun-filled physical activities that the kids will enjoy doing even for many hours per day. There are hundreds of fun options that will get kids interested in physical activities and exercises; you just have to get motivated to join them in the process. Some of the games or activities they can do are: -
- Tag games – A classic old age game, it can be played by all the members of the family, to make it more enjoyable. Play the ever-favorite hide and seek or catch me if you can.
- Bike riding – It’s an activity kids will love and can do every day. Set goals like time or distance covered to make it exciting every day.
- Frisbee play – It’s a lot of fun and requires a lot of physical activity as well. In addition, it is a superb way to burn some fat.
- Sports – Kids can always be encouraged to pursue sports like football, basketball, baseball or swimming.
- Dancing – It’s one of the best form of physical exercises and a lot of fun as well. It can be done with the family and also in a group of same aged children.
Offer your child the option of playing a different game everyday or to pursue different sports so that it doesn’t get boring for him. Include nutritional foods in their everyday diet from a young age so that it becomes a part of their lifestyle for years to come.
Good academics today do not come merely through classroom teaching; rather they are an outcome of innovative activities. Young kids today learn a lot through various kind of activities organised by the kids’ clubs.
Following are some tips that will help you keep a tab on improving your child’s academic performance.
- The importance of reading can never be undermined. Reading not only gives a wider perspective to things, but also adds to a child’s power of thinking. It improves vocabulary too. As a parent, reading with your child from a very early stage is the best thing you can do.
- It is vital to ignite and keep alive the knack of asking curious questions within a child. The more kids ask questions, the better it will be for their academic development. Questions arise from problems, and finding solutions to the same is something that will sharpen the intellect of your child.
- Motivate your child to seek knowledge rather than ‘A’ grades. This will work as a wonderful catalyst for the child’s learning. Besides, you can also motivate by rewarding your child’s performance suitably, but take care that reward does not turn into greed and thereby impedes your child’s actual learning.
- A child learns best through love, praise, and encouragement. Discipline is important of course, but there is a fine line between ensuring discipline and being strict. Encourage the child to try out new things, and learn from the practical situations he or she faces in real life.
- For healthy learning, a healthy body is undoubtedly important. For this, you could enrol your kid at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas. Physical activities and sports form an integral part of your child’s daily routine. Besides these, participation in community events or doing something of value for the environment, are measures that can contribute to the kid’s learning.
All the above things said and done, the most important thing you can give to your kid is free time and attention. Early years lay the foundation for a child’s development. As a parent, you can make these learning years fruitful by contributing in a practical and efficient manner.
To enroll your kids in programs offered at Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Texas, kindly visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541 or call 254-699-5808.
The importance of sports for the overall development of kids is something that everyone is well aware of. Taking part in physical activities and sports from an early age lays the foundation for the development of a healthy mind and a healthy body.
Moreover, sports activities become all the more significant during times when kids have vacations. They ensure that your little ones stay fit and do not turn into couch potatoes. There are various sports activities for kids in Texas; read on to know more.
- Basketball is a wonderful game that kids enjoy while playing in a team. It provides complete physical workout, builds strength and endurance of the muscles, and also helps to build height when kids are in the growing up years. The child also learns skills such as coordination and collaboration within a team, which are great assets for the future.
- Kids can also be actively involved in Youth Football in Texas. There are various programs that you can avail; whether your child is interested to play the game on the field, or to cheer for his or her favorite team. There are a host of clubs that offer football programs for young children.
- As with basketball, football is also a team game. It is a great way to work out towards a fit and healthy body.
- Track events are another area that kids can be engaged in. Whether it is racing, or relay events, these are a great way to build up physical strength. Kids develop sharper reflexes, quicker response times, as well as great head and eye coordination.
- Not only this, track events are the best way to build up stamina and endurance, which will help the child in the long run.
- Sports are a fun way to learn. They teach the child many life skills in a free environment. Right from a young age, the child gets to know the importance of traits such as leadership and team spirit. Besides helping build physical fitness, sports activities also nurture the self-confidence of the child.
In addition, there are many other innovative ways to engage kids in physical activities. Try to find out what your kid loves the most, and accordingly get him or her active in a sports activity that fits the bill.
Like most conversations with teenage kids, talking to your teenager about drinking can be awkward, and your child might want to avoid the conversation with you. However, it is important to talk to your kid about the dangers of drinking, and be ready to answer any questions regarding alcohol that they might have. Talking to your child about the dangers of alcohol when they are still young can help to equip them better to resist peer pressure when the time comes. Here are a few tips that can help you to protect your child from alcohol abuse:
- Enrolling your child in an after-school program that offers anti-alcohol kids activities is a good idea. The message is more likely to hit home in an environment where the kid is surrounded by his peers.
- It is important to establish open communication with your child, to ensure that he is comfortable talking with you about alcohol and other tabooed subjects. This can be accomplished by developing a loving atmosphere at home, devoid of harshness and criticism.
- While trying to reach out to your child, it is important to ensure that you respect his privacy and boundaries, and set realistic expectations from him. Your child should know that you care, but should not develop a rebellious attitude against you.
- Spending one-on-one time with your teen, doing things that they love to do, such as going on a walk, riding a bike, swimming, baking cookies, watching a movie, etc., can help to foster a close tie with your child, and let them know that they are important to you.
- If you leave your child at a child care center, ask them if they offer any specific programs that deal with the dangers of alcohol, and enroll your child in such a program. You can find information on such centers across Texas that would be suitable for you.
- It is natural for teenagers to feel that they are old enough to consume alcohol and drugs. You need to help them understand the definition of maturity, and let them know what age you feel is right for consuming alcohol. Encouraging your child to have a career goal and big expectations from their life can help to deter them from indulging in the consumption of alcohol.
Children absolutely love music, making music one of the best vehicles to aid in early childhood development. We at the Boys And Girls Club Central Texas, a leading child care and kids activities center, make use of this valuable tool in many of our programs, to help take musical learning to the next level for our young members. Research has continually shown that music has a positive effect on children, on different levels, ranging from reading and quantitative skills to their social, physical, and creative abilities. We help the children at our club to draw the maximum benefits from music, by incorporating it into our set of activities.
We are constantly exploring the different ways in which music education can be incorporated into our after-school curriculum, by creating countless kids activities centered around music, and helping children to find exciting new ways to enjoy music. The young children at our club benefit immensely from singing songs and reciting poems. This helps to improve their literacy skills, as they build connections to the familiar words in the songs, which results in the firing away of neural transmitters in their brain.
Children who develop an inclination towards music at an early stage also have higher self-esteem, self-confidence, and curiosity. The ability of music to address multiple needs of children can be attributed to it being nonjudgmental. Music also encourages children to listen with concentration, which has a highly positive effect on their learning ability. The varying pitches of music help in boosting the auditory development in the brain.
The benefits of music can also be seen for older children, in whom music stimulates brain connections, hence training the brain for advanced forms of thinking. The exposure of children to the complex multi-sensory stimulation involved in musical activities like keyboard lessons and group singing helps in developing their spatial reasoning, which is an important skill that they use later in math, science, and engineering.
In addition to the several positive effects that music has on the mental development of children, it also boosts their physical development by making it easy for them to move from one activity to another. Children who are exposed to music from an early stage develop motor coordination and rhythmic movements, which help to keep them active, and develop in them a sense of direction.