Teaching kids to live a healthy and active lifestyle is important for their well-being. But, as any parent knows, it can sometimes be quite a challenge. Forcing kids to participate in activities they don’t enjoy can lead them to rebel and despise the exact principals you are trying to teach them.
Try adding nutrition to fun foods. They will be appetizing and interesting for kids and they might develop a liking for these to make them part of their food habits. Some of these food items can be: -
- Include a rainbow meal. Make meals that are colorful and serve them for lunch or supper. For example, strawberries, blueberries and bell peppers are all different colors and are very tasty to eat. The variety in color and the nutrition value of the fruit and vegetables are a perfect combination
- Instead of soda or cola, give them fruit juices or flavored fat free milk
- Instead of chips or crackers, give them fruit salad or vegetable sticks like carrots
- Instead of cupcakes or cakes, give them sugar free ice pops or flavored frozen yogurts
Focus on planning fun-filled physical activities that the kids will enjoy doing even for many hours per day. There are hundreds of fun options that will get kids interested in physical activities and exercises; you just have to get motivated to join them in the process. Some of the games or activities they can do are: -
- Tag games – A classic old age game, it can be played by all the members of the family, to make it more enjoyable. Play the ever-favorite hide and seek or catch me if you can.
- Bike riding – It’s an activity kids will love and can do every day. Set goals like time or distance covered to make it exciting every day.
- Frisbee play – It’s a lot of fun and requires a lot of physical activity as well. In addition, it is a superb way to burn some fat.
- Sports – Kids can always be encouraged to pursue sports like football, basketball, baseball or swimming.
- Dancing – It’s one of the best form of physical exercises and a lot of fun as well. It can be done with the family and also in a group of same aged children.
Offer your child the option of playing a different game everyday or to pursue different sports so that it doesn’t get boring for him. Include nutritional foods in their everyday diet from a young age so that it becomes a part of their lifestyle for years to come.