As a parent, you are always thinking about what kind of food your kids should eat in order to maintain good health. Since a balanced and healthy diet is essential for a kid’s growing body, every parent must know the importance of nutrition. Nutritious food gives your children the energy they need and help in their overall physical and mental development. With little efforts, parents can easily instill healthy eating habits in their kids at an early age. However, peer pressure and the growing trend of junk food makes this task a challenge for the parents. Therefore, it becomes extremely important for the parents to make their kids eat the right food in a very positive way. Let’s see how parents can teach their kids healthy eating habits.
- Be a good role model: Parents are a role model for kids who are likely to do whatever their role model does. They will develop the eating habits of their parents. If the parents pick up healthy snacks and cereals to eat, the kids are sure to follow and eat a healthy and nutritious meal. Frequent family meals encourage the kids for healthier food choices.
- Take your kids out for shopping: Whenever you go out for grocery shopping take your kids along with you and talk to them about various food products that are sold in a grocery store like fruits, vegetables, meat and eggs etc. Tell them how these foods effect the body and what are the several benefits of eating healthy stuff. This will make a good impression of the healthy food stuff in their minds and they will log on to a nutritious diet.
- Flexibility in food is also necessary: Don’t just stick to a healthy meal choice for every day. A special treat of pizza or any other food just once a week won’t do any harm. Rather this would help make them have an enjoyable experience and will also help your child to maintain healthy eating habits.
- Prepare a personal food planner with your kids: A personal food planner will help your kids pick up more nutritious food and avoid unhealthy food. Sit and prepare a chart with your kids that include the food stuff that should be avoided and all the healthy meals that should be included in his diet. In the chart you can also include the food stuff that your kid likes but is not much healthy and can be eaten occasionally. This will help your kid to pick nutritive food items.
- Avoid highly processed food: Highly processed food contains preservatives, chemicals, synthetic fats, additives, artificial sweeteners, and food colorings. These things are harmful for a growing kid. He/she may develop certain allergies, obesity, high blood pressure that leads to hazardous diseases. Therefore, try to completely avoid this food stuff or you can allow your kids to eat them seldom.
We at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas run various child care programs to incorporate healthy living and active learning in your kids. The program emphasizes on good nutrition, physical activities and overall well being. To register, visit us at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.