It is your responsibility, as a parent, to ensure that your kids have good oral and dental care. Children are prone to cavities due to their tendency to eat sweets which leads to the buildup of bacteria in the mouth and causes damage to the teeth. However it is possible to prevent this damage if you pay attention to the proper dental care of the kids from an early stage.
Here are some tips that will help you make your kids stay cavity free.
- Assist your children with routine dental care: It is crucial to take care of your child’s teeth from an early stage. As they are not capable of brushing and flossing their teeth on their own so it is your responsibility to help the child.
- Use quality toothpaste: A large variety of toothpastes is available in the market however, not all toothpastes are for kids. It is always a good idea to ask your dentist about any recommendation as it is important that the paste your kid uses does not have any harmful content. The paste should have pleasing taste so that the kids enjoy brushing at least twice a day and fluoride helps strengthen the tooth enamel.
- Choose right toothbrush: With so many toothbrushes available, it is important that you choose a brush that is suitable, has soft bristles and is designed for the size and shape of a child’s mouth and hands. The child should be able to hold the brush properly and control the movement of the brush. Choosing colorful and attractively shaped brush encourages kids to make brushing fun.
- Monitor the diet of children: Children are fond of sweets and snacks and this is usually the main cause of tooth decay. It is important that you monitor their diet and always choose nutritious snacks for your child like fruits, low fat cheese, vegetables and other healthier options.
- Get regular dental checkup: You should take your child for regular dental checkups and make sure that every issue is resolved. Dentists often offer fluoride treatments to the children and other preventive treatments such as sealants, which are durable plastic coatings that cover the grooves and can offer protection for a few years.
- Set an example: Kids often follow their parents, so it is essential that you set a good example for them. Follow a good oral health routine and your kids will follow you.
These tips will help your child adopt good habits and have healthy teeth and gums.
We, at Boys and Girls Clubs Of Central Texas, organize Cavity-Free Zone program for kids. For details, visit us at at 304 W Ave B, TX- 76541 or call Ms. Carol Dunn (Administrative assistant) at 254-699-5808, Ext: 102.