With the advent of technology, kids are spending more time indoors making it more important to teach them the value of a healthy lifestyle and motivate them to adopt the same. A healthy lifestyle means living in a way that improves the physical, mental and emotional health of an individual. Introducing healthy lifestyle at an early age allows children to enjoy lifelong benefits in the form of lower risk of diseases and a higher life expectancy.
Important ways in which kids can be encouraged to adopt a healthy lifestyle are:
- Balanced Breakfast: Teach your kids to have an energetic and healthy breakfast before stepping out of the house. This habit will keep their energy levels high throughout the day, make them calmer, help them focus better and maintain a healthy weight.
- Smart Snacking: A hungry child tends to eat whatever comes handy at the moment, so it is better to stock healthy snacks for your child. For example, instead of sodas and cookies, buy fruits that your child loves, nuts (peanuts, almonds), seeds (pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds), eggs, peanut butter, air-popped popcorn, raisins, etc.
- Eating Slowly: This tip is often overlooked due to busy schedules but, it is one of the most essential things. Parents should inculcate the habit of eating slowly, speaking calmly and focusing on the entire process of eating when on the table. This teaches children the art of savoring what they eat and also helps in proper digestion of food.
- Exercise: Physical activity such as structured exercise programs or simply playing outside with friends is important for kids. Such activities not only encourage children to explore the environment they live in but also teach them valuable life skills like discipline, patience, team work, etc.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated leads to optimal functioning of the body’s organs, helps in maintaining healthy weight, aids in digestion and keeps the brain alert. So, encourage your kids to drink water and fresh juices at regular intervals.
- Family Guidelines: Set some meaningful family guidelines around healthy food choices and other lifestyle habits. For example, set a particular time for your kids to go to bed (without devices), discourage watching TV or staring at a screen while eating, limit portion sizes, set water drinking goals, have at least one meal together, etc.
- Involvement: When planning meals or shopping for ingredients, involve your children in the process. There is a lot for them to learn from the experience e.g. reading labels, making healthier choices and more.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas
offer a variety of ‘Healthy Lifestyles’ programs to encourage kids. For more details on ways in which kids can adopt a healthy lifestyle, visit us at 304 W Ave B, Killeen, TX – 76541. You can also contact: (254) 699 – 5808.