At the most basic level, discipline involves training the mind and body to focus on a goal and to regulate one's emotions. It is one of the most important aspects of an individual’s life. When disciplining children, it is advisable to use positive discipline strategies which foster self-discipline.
Following are some effective tips for promoting discipline among kids:
- Set Up a Routine: Creating a routine for your child helps in structuring his day. It keeps your child away from other distractions. Over time, a child knows when to do a certain task without any guidance.
- Creative Distraction: Children seek stimulating activities to channel their brimming energy. It is helpful to engage them in positive distractions such as board games, sports, puzzles, books, etc. These activities teach them something new and keep them away from unproductive habits and activities.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Refine your child’s problem-solving skills by encouraging him to figure out a solution to a specific issue. Encourage your child to look for creative solutions to a problem and offer some eye-opening experiences to learn from.
- Health Programs for Kids: Food and exercise are important areas of life that require a lot of discipline. After-school clubs such as Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas encourage kids to enroll themselves in healthy lifestyles programs to help them learn about the importance of maintaining a healthy diet and incorporating physical activities into their lives.
- Be a Role Model: Children learn a lot by emulating the adults in their lives; parents, teachers, and relatives. As a parent, one of the most effective ways of promoting self-discipline in your child is to be a role model. Be the perfect example for your child by completing tasks on time, not wasting time on social media, sleeping on time, etc.
- Enroll them in an After-School Program: After-School clubs like the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas offer the perfect environment for kids to thrive and become self-disciplined. Kids develop essential life skills with the help of well-trained and experienced staff members at the club. The aim of programs offered by after-school clubs is to create self-reliant kids who grow into responsible adults & contribute to the community in a positive way.
Discipline is the key to build self-confidence, develop character, make a child self-reliant, and develop a sense of responsibility. For more information about promoting discipline among kids, visit Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas at 703 N 8th St Killeen, TX - 76541 USA. You can also visit www.bgctx.org
or call at (254) 699 – 5808.